blank'/> A LITTLE BIT OF LACQUER: Sunscreens!

May 28, 2017

Sunscreens!

Happy Memorial Day weekend all! Today I wanted to talk a bit about one of THE most important parts in your daily skin care - SUNSCREEN! And while most of us are good about putting on sunscreen before a day at the beach - it's important to remember that we should be wearing sunscreen everyday - not only for preventing skin cancers, but also premature aging. 

Check out the truck driver above- can you tell which side of his face got almost all of the sun and which was more protected from UV rays? It's not subtle! And especially if you're someone who suffers from dark spots (ie postinflammatory hyperpigmentation) or melasma - even a few minutes of sun exposure can keep those spots dark! So I tell all my patients, all my family, all my friends (that includes you) to wear sunscreen daily!

Here are a few favorites:

Everyday:
You knew this was coming - this has been my favorite daily sunscreen for years.

Acne-Prone
Most of my dermies love this one! The Cerave one above and the Avene one I mention below have also been fantastic for acne-prone skin - speaking from years of personal experience! I break out so easily whenever I try something new, but these 3 have been fantastic.

Sensitive skin:

Tinted:
Sheer coverage:
Just a tiny bit of color to even out skin and awesome protection!

Medium-full coverage:
Avene Complexion Correcting (love that it comes in more than just one shade - light, medium, and dark)
*This is pretty much the product I've been looking for forever and have been SO in love with it since trying it almost a month ago. Now instead of applying my Cerave and then applying my mineral makeup on top, now I just apply this on damp skin. It is thick but you can easily apply with a tiny bit of water to spread more easily. I love that it provides great coverage and a nice dewy finish. More importantly it's got titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, and iron oxides (which help also block visible light - another contributor to dark spots).

Baby/toddler:

Natural/Organic:
Blue Lizard is my favorite natural line - I linked two of my favorites above!

For reapplying: 
*We know that we should be reapplying every 2 hours or so but that is so unrealistic. What I do like doing is applying something right before my commute home (the setting sun is glaring in my face all drive home) - and a brush-on sunscreen powder is PERFECT for just this!
This is another cheaper option!



A few other tips?
I personally prefer physical blockers (ingredients like zinc oxide) to chemical blockers, but both are great for their own reasons! Not everyone likes the white/grey cast the physical blockers can give off, but when paired with a tinted formulation, I've never found it to be a problem! If you are using one that has primarily chemical blockers, make sure to apply at least 15 minutes before heading out into the sun! So no putting on the sunscreen when you're already at the beach, do it before you get in the car on the way there!

Also, for those who are "allergic" to sunscreen (it is a thing) - it's almost always because of one of these 2 ingredients - oxybenzone and PABA (para-aminobenzoic acid). If you've had a reaction to sunscreen in the past, don't think it means you're allergic to all sunscreens - just check the labels for one of these ingredients and stay away from them! Physical blockers (zinc oxide and titanium doxide) are usually a safe bet!

And remember that babies 6 months or younger shouldn't really wear sunscreen. Keep them out of direct sunlight and under the shade (we recently got a Cool Cabana for beach trips and we love it)! If they must wear it, make sure to try a small area first (apply once in the same spot for 2 days in a row) to make sure they don't have any reaction to it (a safe idea to do with anyone really) and stick with physical blockers.

And finally - don't forget to apply to areas like your ears (I've cut off way too many skin cancers from ears)! And lips (actinic cheilitis is not cute)! Not everyone wants to put sunscreen on your lips, but now there are tons of products with spf inside (I love this lip gloss and lip balm).

And for those who struggle with dark spots, I love this Concealer that not only helps camouflage those spots, but most importantly provides even more sun protection to help those marks fade.


PS - Comment over on Instagram (under the photo I used in this post) to enter a little sunscreen giveaway!

PS - I linked up many of these options using Amazon since they just have pretty much everything, but Dermstore is another online shop I love using! For things that I KNOW I buy every month or two, I buy through them because they have such a great subscribe and save option for a lot of their products! They're having an awesome Memorial Day Sale and everything on the site is 20% off
Use code MDSALE20

Shop some of the Dermstore links below:


10 comments:

  1. This is so helpful! I've been on the hunt for a new sunscreen for daily use and decided to order the EltaMD on your recommendation (and the glowing recommendations I see on various other sites). Thanks, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a 40-year-old. My Hepatitis B (HBV) disease appeared at the age of 34, with no hope of a cure from the hospital i looked further for an alternative treatments, a friend of mine told me about Health Herbal Clinic in Nigeria who sell herbal treatments for diseases including Hepatitis B disease, I contacted the herbal clinic via their website and purchased the HBV herbal remedy. I received the herbal remedy through DHL couriers within 8 days and i immediately commenced usage as prescribed, i used the herbal remedy for about a month and 1 week, my condition has greatly improved, all my symptoms including Abdominal pain, Nausea and vomiting, Loss of appetite, I am HBV free! contact Health Herbal Clinic via their email draribaspelltemple@gmail.com or visit https://m.facebook.com/greatdrariba.. PLS HBV is not a death sentence, there is a cure!
      Whatsapp: +2348140439497

      Delete
  2. Do you have any suggestions for sweat proof. rub proof SPFs? I run and because I sweat like crazy (and also my nose always starts running) I always feel like I'm constantly rubbing my face. I do wear a hat and I use Neutrogena Sheer SPF 55 (really as a matter of habit.) I usually run outside 4-5x a week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura, is Avene Complexion Correcting available in drugstores? I don't live in the states and wonder if I can buy it over the counter?
    Thank you for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. one of the biggest factors in premature ageing is the exposure to sunlight. It is necessary to wear sunscreen when you go outside the house or even when inside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been on the hunt for a new sunscreen for daily use and decided to order

    gclub online
    goldenslot
    สูตรบาคาร่า

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I found your blog and it’s gorgeous! I like your sense of style!

    gclub online
    goldenslot
    สูตรบาคาร่า

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any thoughts about European and Japanese sunscreen formulations? I have done a lot of reading and it seems like there are some good ingredients that aren't available in the US. I just received a few that I ordered on Amazon and so far I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make my day! If you have a specific question you want answered, please send me a message by clicking the Contact tab at the top, or even better, contact me on twitter or facebook and I'll get back to you ASAP! Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Designed by Minimalsphere