blank'/> A LITTLE BIT OF LACQUER: Baby's First Foods

May 2, 2017

Baby's First Foods

Happy Monday! I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! Today I'm partnering with Stonyfield to talk a little bit about baby's first foods (which definitely includes yogurt, but I want to talk about other foods and some tips too)!

The first question I get? When is it ok to start introducing solids? And what should be first? Research has shown that parents are really confused about this - in a study conducted by ORC International and Stonyfield, at least one-third of parents admit to feeding confusion during baby’s first months, and over half feel overwhelmed by the varying opinions of early childhood nutrition. So you're note alone! It doesn't help that some pediatricians don't keep up to date with new data, so they continue sharing old, outdated information. With all of my babies I started right around 4 months with just simple rice cereal (I loved and still love this one, it's got probiotics and choline and tons of other nutrients, and is organic)! I'd mix a small amount with breastmilk and spoon-feed, gradually increasing the consistency as they got used to it. 

While I like to start first with spoon-feeding, I also love letting baby pick up foods and feed themselves from an early age. Soft, finger-friendly foods are the best (think cut up bananas, raspberries, avocado, etc)! I would introduce a new fruit or veggie and give it about 3 days before introducing something else to make sure I'd be able to identify any foods that baby may be allergic to.  So from 4-6 months my babies got just breastmilk, rice cereal, and soft fruits or veggies (either pureed or cut up). 

By 6 months I started introducing soft proteins like scrambled eggs and yogurt. Yogurt is Elli's absolute favorite (mine too, I pretty much always grab a cup of greek yogurt to eat on my drive into work every morning) - and Elli is taking after mama! But it really is such a great food - with a good mix of protein, healthy fats, and carbohydrates; the Stonyfield YoBaby yogurt is also a great source of probiotics - in fact Stonyfield YoBaby was selected as the number one pediatrician-recommended yogurt for babies 6 months to 2 years old!

So proud of herself using her spoon! 

Abandoned the spoon to get every last drop lol

To help protect your baby’s gut health, you want to ensure they’re getting enough probiotics. While naturally found in breast milk, probiotics are also found in yogurt - Stonyfield has added probiotic BB-12 to YoBaby (along with other live active cultures). BB-12 has been shown to have a digestive health benefit when consumed regularly by promoting beneficial gut bacteria and regular, soft stools. Stonyfield YoBaby is the only organic yogurt made especially for babies, and comes in lots of flavors (plain, vanilla, banana/mango, blueberry/apple and peach/pear)! 

Many parents don't introduce yogurt early because they think they aren't allowed to give dairy before age 1 - and while it is true that you shouldn't give a baby cow's milk before age 1, dairy itself is safe and yogurt and cheese are great first foods (and good sources of calcium and vitamin D). During the first year even while introducing new solids baby's first food is still breast milk, so don't feel like they need to be eating a certain amount of food or be on some strict schedule - I see it more as a way to get them introduced to new tastes and textures and a great nutritional supplement to breastmilk when using the right foods! Try to have fun with it! 

5 comments:

  1. hi Laura! my baby is going to be 1 on may 12th....is it ok to start giving her regular milk now? if so what is the process? i've heard so many different things like "dont give her formula all day and then the next day give her regular milk" or "mix the regular milk with some water first" i'm so confused please help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a 40-year-old. My Hepatitis B (HBV) disease appeared at the age of 34, with no hope of a cure from the hospital i looked further for an alternative treatments, a friend of mine told me about Health Herbal Clinic in Nigeria who sell herbal treatments for diseases including Hepatitis B disease, I contacted the herbal clinic via their website and purchased the HBV herbal remedy. I received the herbal remedy through DHL couriers within 8 days and i immediately commenced usage as prescribed, i used the herbal remedy for about a month and 1 week, my condition has greatly improved, all my symptoms including Abdominal pain, Nausea and vomiting, Loss of appetite, I am HBV free! contact Health Herbal Clinic via their email draribaspelltemple@gmail.com or visit https://m.facebook.com/greatdrariba.. PLS HBV is not a death sentence, there is a cure!
      Whatsapp: +2348140439497

      Delete
  2. This is a really nice post, specially for mothers. They stay worried about their baby's food and diet. You have defined really well the things related to the baby's first food. I will also follow all these tips given in this post. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice baby. Her dresses are really nice. I have pleased to visit this blog.polychrome clothing

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make my day! If you have a specific question you want answered, please send me a message by clicking the Contact tab at the top, or even better, contact me on twitter or facebook and I'll get back to you ASAP! Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Designed by Minimalsphere