blank'/> A LITTLE BIT OF LACQUER: Healthy Hair

March 21, 2017

Healthy Hair

Happy Tuesday!! Today I’m partnering with Nature’s Bounty to talk all about healthy hair (skin and nails apply too)! But I wanted to focus mostly on hair today. 

As a dermatology resident we not only see patients with skin disease, but also with hair and nail disorders as well! And you’d never imagine the amount of pathology there is out there! But the most common questions I get are always about keeping hair and nails healthy from people with no real “pathology” so to speak of (including mamas who are experiencing postpartum hair loss - which is completely normal/physiologic, and starts right around 3 months PP - I experienced it with all my girls and am ready for it to hit this time too)! Anyway, today I wanted to talk about keeping our hair as healthy as possible!  


I’ll do another post later on some products that can help from the outside in, but healthy hair, skin, and nails, all begin from the inside! And one of the biggest factors, whether we like to admit or not is stress! Stress and bad skin/hair/nails are 100% related! In fact one of the most common causes of hair loss (and breakouts) is STRESS! So finding ways to reduce stress is one of the best things we can do for ourselves (not just for hair, skin, and nails either, it most certainly has internal effects as well)! I know that's much easier said than done, but one way I try reducing stress is by remembering what actually matters in the grand scheme of things - check out this post for a few more tips.


Another thing that helps with healthy hair is blood flow! Many people love scalp massage (which serves three purposes - increasing blood flow to the scalp, breaking up any buildup on the scalp, and reducing stress) and it's one of my favorites. Exercise is another fantastic way to increase blood flow to the scalp, and also a great stress reducer! For both scalp massage and exercise, though, I’d make sure to be careful with oils (oil you may use for the scalp massage and the sweat/oil that we work up ourselves during exercise)! This extra oil can certainly contribute to breakouts, so make sure to wash your hair after your massage and wash your face after workouts (I prescribe clindamycin swabs for a lot of my patients to just keep in their gym bags, but non-prescription face wipes can also be really helpful - I've recommended these over the counter for my patients)! For the scalp I shampoo regularly with an anti-dandruff shampoo (and do a little scalp massage in the shower as well)! Having a clean scalp is also really important for health hair!


Whenever patients come in with hair loss we also want to make sure they’re not vitamin or nutrient deficient. Many are not, but they still want recommendations on supplements to take. Now - there IS NO SUPPLEMENT that's going to make your hair grow faster or give you perfect skin - it just doesn't work that way - there are so many factors in play. But it is certainly helpful to make sure you have all the right building blocks for healthy hair (and skin and nails)! And that certainly starts with a healthy diet - protein and fats are crucial - I try to include lean poultry and meats as well as fish like salmon, and other healthy fat filled foods like walnuts and flaxseed (super easy to add to a cup of greek yogurt and have a great snack)! As far as supplements, lately I’ve been recommending these Nature’s Bounty Hair, Skin & Nails Gummies - one because I’ve tried them and love them (and I really feel best recommending products I actually have tried, I do the same with my sunscreen), and two because they have simple ingredients and not too much “extra.” They provide some of the vital vitamins we need to support beautiful hair, skin, and nails from the inside and out.* They essentially are just Biotin, Vitamin C and Vitamin E, which support lustrous hair, vibrant skin and healthy nails.* And they're cute and pink and strawberry flavored, but not everyone cares about that part lol! The only thing I'd caution with these is that while they taste like candy, they aren't, so only take 2 so you don't go over the 2,500mcg biotin dose!* 


As always, anything on the blog is my opinion and not my professional medical advice, make sure to schedule an appointment with your dermatologist if you have concerns about your hair skin or nails! But if you just want to make sure you’ve got the right building blocks for healthy hair, skin, and nails, remember to cut out stress, exercise, and pick up a bottle of Nature’s Bounty Hair, Skin & Nails Gummies in the beauty aisle at your local Walgreens!


PS - you can read more about my current skincare and makeup routine here, some of the other hair products I use for curly hair (me and Liv) here (I'd say the only update is that I've switched to an anti-dandruff shampoo like I mentioned above), and how I straighten my hair here (I've updated a few products like my dry shampoo but otherwise most of the routine is the same)! Thanks to Nature's Bounty for sponsoring this post and asking me to share some of my tips for healthy hair!

*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

9 comments:

  1. Hi! I've followed your blog for a long time, but this is the first time I'm leaving a comment.

    I just wanted to share with you that Ulta's 21 days of beauty are going on right now. There are super amazing deals every day PLUS a bunch of beauty steals running for the entire event. They've got eyeshadow palettes for 50% off and even more (the Lorac pro matte was only $11!!!).

    I thought it might be something nice to share with your readers! Plus the Anastasia brow wiz is going to be 50% off!!! And I was just reading in your black friday beauty post that you used it before switched to the cheaper NYX brow pencil- but at 50% off, the brow wiz is the same price as NYX!

    Love your blog so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips ! I am going through postpartum hair loss right now with my 6 month old and its really bad. I'm definitely going to try these and incorporate some of your tips in my lifestyle. If you don't mind me asking which anti- dandruff shampoo do you use?

    xo,
    Cindi
    Breakfast at Cindi’s

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, link to your bracelet/bangle, please? Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura! I have been using the natures bounty hair/nails/skin vitamins since around January and they caused me to break out after two weeks. I loved the vitamins however and have tried to take a few per week instead of the two recommended per day, I still end up with a pimple or two. Any recommendations on how to combat this by taking another product with it (or something to that effect)or should I just not take biotin as I am highly sensitive I guess? I am just sad this product was doing wonders besides the break outs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your baby will discover sense of touch and sensation while taking a bath. For baby and mommy, it can be scary to give baby a bath for the first time. Toddler Conditioner

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your baby will discover sense of touch and sensation while taking a bath. For baby and mommy, it can be scary to give baby a bath for the first time. Toddler Conditioner

    ReplyDelete
  7. You cannot simply expert salon style hair at home if you do not have a descent quality hair dryer. However, while buying this equipment you must remember that you should only go for the professional quality product that is used in the salons. Hair care

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wigs Edmonton are the hottest wigs on the market. Specially designed with only the finest human hair, lace wigs are made to appear as if your hair is growing right out of your scalp.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make my day! If you have a specific question you want answered, please send me a message by clicking the Contact tab at the top, or even better, contact me on twitter or facebook and I'll get back to you ASAP! Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Designed by Minimalsphere