blank'/> A LITTLE BIT OF LACQUER: A few favorites of 2016

December 30, 2016

A few favorites of 2016

Happy Friday!! Just finished my last dermatology clinic for the year and getting ready to head into a 3 day weekend - so excited!! I usually try and think about all the great things going on when they're actually happening (helps with the whole "living in the moment" effort), but it's hard to not spend a little time reminiscing at the end of the year about the things you loved the most. Today I wanted to round up a little list of a few of my favorite things from this year. It's always hard to pick a "favorite" and I'm sure if I thought long enough about it I'd remember even more, but here are some!

favorite memory 
Family cruise. I just realized I never actually posted about our cruise - but this was huge for us. We never really got a break in between intern year in Boston and starting our advanced residencies here in Miami (and the little break we did get was spent driving down the coast for our move), so our family vacation this fall was so necessary! It's always hard with two people in residency to get vacation time that overlaps, but we made it work this year and our trip was incredible! If you guys have any questions about it I'd love to answer more maybe in a specific post, just ask in the comments section! A super close second was our Barbados trip that N and I took for Valentine's day - it was pretty much the best trip ever and we love reminiscing about it! 



favorite daily accessory
Daniel Wellington watch. This is another one that isn't new for 2016 - last year this was also my go-to. But this year I did switch it up a tiny bit and get a black face watch as well - a fun little spin on the classic. This watch just goes with everything, and I love it because I can even keep track of time when I can't actually check my phone in clinic or mid-surgery (so funny that our phones have become our new time-keepers for most of us as opposed to a good-old watch)! But thankfully I'm getting back to the way things used to be and telling time the classic way! PS - you can still get 15% off with code LAURALACQUER15!


favorite challenge 
The Miami move. We're not growing if we're not challenging ourselves, and while we don't need to be challenging ourselves all the time, we certainly need to now and then! This year's big challenge was our move to Miami (and starting our advanced residencies, but I think the move was harder than the new positions). You can read more about our move here and how I decided to change our situation for the best. We currently love Miami and are even considering buying out here, so the challenge was well worth it!


favorite TV show
Catastrophe. N and I are total "show" people, and we are definitely binge-watchers. We'll go months without watching a good series and then find one and watch it all in 2 or 3 nights. That's what we did with the first 2 seasons of Catastrophe - it's a UK show that is available in the US by Amazon Video (part of Amazon Prime - one of our favorite ways to watch TV - I have all the girls' movies on there)! When the girls are asleep we'll eat some take out and watch hours at a time! I especially loved this show because it was just so damn real, and as opposed to being taken out to some fantasy realm, we were left being able to bring it back to our own lives and talk about it. Anyway, definitely worth a watch, and we'll be on the lookout for our next series to eat up!


favorite beauty product
Cerave sunscreen. This is nothing new for 2016. But I think what is worth mentioning is that this year I did learn a hell of a lot more about sunscreen thanks to dermatology residency and even switched to a different brand for a bit (this one, which I still have a ton of derm friends and mentors who swear by, but it just wasn't right for me), but came right back to my favorite. And at less than $15 (and usually on sale for less) it's the best on a budget! Now I have tons of patients who love it too! Daily sun protection (not just when you go to the beach lol) is a key to flawless skin - especially if you struggle with hyperpigmentation (dark spots) - you can spend a ton on "fading creams" and even lasers but if you're not wearing sunscreen daily it will all be for nothing! And of course it helps with premature aging and skin cancer prevention! For more of my beauty favorites check out my most up-to-date post I did in November on my current beauty routine!


favorite investment
Double jogging stroller. I'm kicking myself for not buying this sooner, but it was a relatively big purchase for me and I definitely don't take those lightly! But our Thule jogging stroller has been incredible, and it's given N another way to spend quality time with both girls, and me the chance to have some quiet time at home now and then. And I even use now and then (not for jogging lol, maybe someday), and it's just so smooth and easy to maneuver for a double!


favorite outfit
Figs scrubs. If I could wear scrubs everyday I would. But sometimes you can feel a little frumpy in said hospital-issued scrubs. But not with Figs. I have at least 4 different sets and will definitely be getting more when I'm baby-bump-free hahaha! I get excited thinking about when I'm actually practicing on my own - I think I'll wear Figs scrubs everyday and have a full closet of them! As will all of my nurses lol! Seriously, though, if you haven't given them a try and have to wear scrubs for school or work, give these a shot. 


favorite shoes
My blush Sofft slip-ons. When I have to dress up for clinic, you all know I've professed my love for these flats. You just will never find anything comparable at that price/style/comfort level. But like I said above, if I could I'd be in scrubs everyday, and with those I've been loving my Sofft slip-ons. They are seriously the most comfortable and I don't think one day goes by that someone doesn't compliment me on them. These were also the only sneaker I took with me on vacation and they never let me down! Perfect with shorts or leggings (my usual weekend go-to) or scrubs! And the color for me is just the best - blush is definitely a neutral in my book, but it's still a nice change from my usual grey black or tan (although they are available in those colors too if that's what you prefer). 


favorite chance taken
Creating an e-course. I pondered doing this for so long, and worked on the content for it for even longer, but it was still so scary to take the plunge and actually release the e-course. But I did this spring and the feedback from most of you was incredible! Not everyone understood, and that's ok, not everyone always will, but those who joined the course with me really took so much from it - the comments and messages you guys sent about the change it made in your lives really meant so much to me. The course is still available now if any of you still want to join, and again feel free to leave any questions in the comments section or shoot me a message! For this week heading into the new year you can get 20% off with code NEWYEAR! I'm really considering creating another course - this one much smaller and focused on starting, maintaining, and promoting a successful blog - would love to hear your thoughts if it's anything at all that sounds interesting to you!

I hope you guys have enjoyed this fun round-up post - 2016 has definitely been a great year and 2017 only promises more to look forward to! You guys know I keep it real - there will be (and have been) plenty of sleep deprived days and arguments and times I want to lock myself in the car, but the beauty in life is realizing that's normal, and to move past those things as quickly as possible (while addressing them of course) and focus on the good. Because there truly is just so much good, so much beauty. After all that's why I started this blog - to put a shiny coat on top of the rough edges and show you that life, even when we make it challenging and go after what we want and take the road less taken, can still be so sweet!

27 comments:

  1. I love love love your posts! Also bought your course and don't regret it all. It's helped me utilize my time at work and at home much better. I also have less anxiety and more quality time with my one-year old. Please continue being you and giving out advice. In such a dark world, I look forward to the light in your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and that's so wonderful to hear!!! xoxoxo

      Delete
  2. Hey you said that you will be having your own practice?!? WHEN?!??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was gonna ask her the same thing. Hopefully it'll be in 2017!

      Delete
    2. Lol just saying when I'm practicing on my own - meaning I'm no longer a resident. I don't know if I'll decide to start my own practice or join another group or stay an academics, the possibilities are endless!

      Delete
  3. Hey what did you do to celebrate getting 100k followers on Instagram? Does it feel like a big accomplishment? Do you like being Instagram famous now? ( I remember being your 3,000 follower a looooooong time ago)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't do anything to celebrate (although N was super cute and got me a card and flowers), but definitely don't feel Instagram famous at all! Just still sharing bits of my life and hoping to keep people inspired

      Delete
  4. Why do you work at three different hospitals? I saw your comoment about it on IG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how most (good) residencies work - you rotate at many hospitals so that you get the most exposure to the most pathology and patient populations. Only one hospital usually "employs" you (the one that gives you your paycheck) - but our residents rotate at at least 4 different hospitals - a private hospital, a public hospital, a VA hospital, and a children's hospital. Like I said, most residencies work this way.

      Delete
  5. When are you going to start the e-course about blogging? I want to join ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't even started planning anything yet, it's really only in the pondering stage!

      Delete
  6. Is this post sponsored by Figs?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're really well spoken in your posts Laura! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. of course she would post most of her favorite things with things she's affiliated with - like Figs and Daniel Wellington. We want something authentic!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well when you get to where "she" is, you'll realize you have your choice of collaborating with any scrub brand or watch brand or xyz brand... I only work with companies I genuinely believe in, hence them being some of my true favorites. Maybe when you get to where "she" is you won't post annoying anonymous comments either.

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad to read your move to Miami has gotten better. It's a great city with many hidden gems. Here's to hoping I'll run into you someday. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sooo many awesome favorites! I love stopping by here for Inso even if I am not in the medical field. Happy 2017, I can't wait to be even more inspired by you!

    xo,
    Aïchatou Bella
    www.stilettosandstandards.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Laura! I love your ecourse and especially love how I can always log back onto it. I've listened to each lecture more than once and I know I will continue to keep going back! I hope I can inspire people that way you inspire me one day! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heyyyy! I've been reading your blog for a while - I love it! You get it all done girl! It's inspiring!
    xo Helen
    Les Petits Gazette

    ReplyDelete
  13. awesome stroller and you are so gorg.
    xO!
    www.thehautecookie.com

    -Facebook-
    www.facebook.com/TheHauteCookie
    -Twitter-
    www.twitter.com/thehautecookie
    -Instagram-
    www.instagram.com/thehautecookie/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a medical student in Europe, and I'm still amazed that you are able to wear nailpolish, rings and watches in the hospital, where we can't wear anything below our elbows! I love reading your blog and keeping up with you on instagram :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You always amaze me! Seriously my inspiration on my pre-med path and hopefully med school soon.

    www.hamdikeynan.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Many human beings are very Alpha Max No2 skinny and lean for genetic reasons. these human beings do now not placed on muscle tissues, even via having high quantities of food, and even if it's the proper form of meals, http://www.strongtesterone.com/alpha-max-no2-reviews/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would absolutely love the idea of having an e-course for starting out a successful blog. Just recently started out my blog and would love to see how I can grow. Check it out at www.leratoeverafter.blogspoy.co.za. You're such an inspiration Laura and Happy New Year to you and yours. Sending all my love from South Africa ����

    ReplyDelete
  18. hi laura! what kind/brand of glasses are you wearing?

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make my day! If you have a specific question you want answered, please send me a message by clicking the Contact tab at the top, or even better, contact me on twitter or facebook and I'll get back to you ASAP! Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Designed by Minimalsphere