blank'/> A LITTLE BIT OF LACQUER: Goodbye October!

October 30, 2016

Goodbye October!

October has been a fun whirlwind of a month - those of you who follow on Instagram and Snapchat get a peek of it all but I figured it'd be nice to post a little update on the blog too!! 


Life:
We moved! And I seriously could not be happier. I've alluded to the Miami move being harder than expected, I pretty much dislike Miami very much lol (although I should say disliked). The area we moved to though just wasn't right for us - full of lots of rich privileged flashy people who will beep at you when you're crossing the street with your children (and have the walking sign)! And we didn't have a car yet either which meant I was relying on Uber to get to work (which was actually super cheap with Uber pool, usually $2-$3 a trip), but led to so much daily frustration! And our condo itself was just not right for us - it always felt cold and outdated and no matter what changes I made my feelings about it weren't changing - never mind all of the necessary repairs that were promised by the property manager and never taken care of - needless to say we had every right to terminate the lease early and we did. And found the most perfect house in the cutest neighborhood with a huge playground across the street (and a shopping center, etc). And got a new car! The move was a bit hectic since we could only move out of the condo on weekdays (the condo rules are ridiculous), but even in the chaos it's already been such a relief! I'm calling it our #freshstartMiami and so excited for it all! And in case you missed it in the midst of it all the girls and I made a super special trip back home the week before the move that was the perfect recharge we needed before taking on the move! 
Our kitchen! I love it! And a front view of our cute little bungalow the day we first saw it! It definitely needs some yard work but we love it! And below our living room (and all the boxes surrounding us lol)!

Style:
Dressing the bump has been fun; for most of the month I was still on my inpatient rotation (read more below) which meant I had to dress in business-casual every day! Which honestly gets a little tiring when you have a special accessory like a 6 month baby bump! My favorites were comfy pants paired with easy tops, and especially sleeveless stretchy sweater dresses! Sweater because it's technically fall, sleeveless because it's still like 80 degrees hahaha (although we have had a few "cooler" days where the humidity has let up and the breeze kicks in and it honestly is glorious)! Loving the price point and fall color options of this dress (and this grey one is almost the exact one I have)!
Left: top, pants, shoes, watch; Right: top, leggings, shoes (I am obsessed with this pointy-toe version leopard flat and it's been taking all of my powers of minimalism to convince myself not to buy them - they look really comfortable too)!


Medicine:
This month I wrapped up my inpatient rotation - my program is the only dermatology program in the country where dermatology actually admits patients (not only inpatient consults) - we admit everything from infected wounds from our wound clinic to drug reactions to scheduled admissions for photophoresis for cutaneous T cell lymphoma or IVIG treatments. It was a great month full of learning (we also handled all of the hospital consults, and over the weekend carried all 3 pagers for 3 separate hospitals, so it was always busy)! My first year as a dermatology resident was very front loaded - I started with our VA rotation which is where we get most of our surgical training (and the first year carries the VA pager 24/7, so you can never leave town), and then I started inpatient, the other heavy month! But this week I started one of our "normal" rotations that means I'm pretty much just in clinics during the day with a couple mornings of surgery, and then I'm free on the weekends! It's a nice change that's for sure! Sharing a few photos below from some interesting consults - warning some of it may be graphic so don't scroll down if you may be squeamish! All of these are photos I actually took from online and not my actual patients to protect their privacy, but these are nearly identical to the presentations I saw!
The first case on the left was probably the craziest - I got a consult for a patient who came to the Emergency Room for right sided weakness, imaging of his brain concerning for metastasis, and a growth like this on his back. I biopsied it and sure enough it returned as an amelanotic melanoma (pretty much one of our scariest diagnoses). The top right was a woman who came in admitting to recent cocaine use - this was levamisole-induced vasculitis - levamisole is a cutting agent in some cocaine that can cause this horrible vasculopathic purpura. The bottom right was a classic case of erythema multiforme, likely from HSV infection (herpes simplex). We see so many cases it's insane! Hope you guys enjoyed it! 


40 comments:

  1. So excited for this fresh start! One thing I learned after Z is that being in the right "hood" and feeling good about your home space is truly sooo important! Enjoy and hopefully we'lol see you guys when we are there in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! We knew the move would be hectic but SO worth it! Xoxo

      Delete
  2. Hi Laura, so happy for you and your sweet family to finally find a place you can call home. Feeling displaced where you're supposed to feel peace is the absolute worst. I'm interested in seeing how family friendly Miami is. When I moved to the US from Belize as a kid, we lived in Liberty City. Not family friendly and it was challenging trying to find friends with the same interests. I loved learning and being creative, but being in an inner city school where learning isn't cool made me change so much. My parents saw me going down the wrong path and we moved to Orlando which was awesome and then to SC where i finally got back on track. I will say that I'm thankful for my mom, who found tons of free family activities to get involved in. Not sure what Miami is like now from a parent's point of view so I can't wait for your adventures. My husband is currently an M2 at MUSC in SC and we're looking at different cities we'd like to live in with our almost 2 yr old Toddler. Love ya! Can't wait to see how you decorate and maybe plant some tropical trees for some fresh fruit? Haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there are definitely plenty of areas that aren't too family friendly but thankfully there are a few that are very much so! So far our new hood is such a better fit for our family!

      Delete
  3. I'll be honest- when I saw you guys moved to Brickell I was a little sad. Miami has so much to offer families but the Brickell area isn't the best choice for kids. Hope you like it better now ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's hard to know when everyone you ask are other residents, most of whom don't have kids, so everyone says Brickell or South Beach! We're much happier now :)

      Delete
  4. Don't worry about those rude rich people. Soon enough you and your husband will both be making six figures and you'll be the rich ones and can go back and rub it in everyone's faces! Lol. I'm happy that things are getting better for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha the wealth didn't mind me - heck we were paying to live in the same neighborhood, I just can't stand how privileged they act and how rude they are! I don't care how much money we make our parents taught us better than that lol!

      Delete
  5. Hey I know that you didn't mention it in this post but what are you planning on doing for maternity leave? Are you taking off for more than 3 weeks this time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likely 4 weeks so I can still keep 2 other separate weeks of vacation. We'll see!

      Delete
  6. I'm glad that you're happier and everything but I CAN'T believe that you left that beautiful view you had at your condo. You're crazy as hell Laura! jk.....jk :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol trust me the view (while phenomenal) just wasn't worth all the other crap! And with my schedule it was rare I was even enjoying the view!

      Delete
  7. How do you deal with the snobby shitty people?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A big old "f you" in my mind and then keep it moving, they're not worth my time!

      Delete
  8. Girl - I have found dermatology residency to be SO HARD. It's partly because I'm starting at our country hospital so we see a ton of amazing, rare conditions (I have so may pemphigus vulgaris patients, I've seen cutaneous breast cancer, and a ton of other rare conditions) and I think it's part because I REALLY, REALLY care. Of course I cared about the patients intern year but it's different now that we're in our actual career. Also, there's just so much to learn.

    I wrote a post about adjusting to the first 3 months on dermatology residency and a typical day for me if any of your readers are interested.

    http://www.loveandthesky.com/home/reflecting-on-my-first-3-months-of-dermatology-residency

    http://www.loveandthesky.com/home/what-i-saw-in-dermatology-clinic-today-september-2016


    We don't start call until January of 1st year, so I haven't had to work a weekend yet. I'm starting at our VA Tuesday, which is supposed to be a lighter rotation so I'm pretty excited about that. I need to do a lot of book studying. In clinic learning obviously is the best but it's overwhelming.

    Have you come up with a study schedule/routine yet?

    Wishing you the best and congrats on baby #3 again! You're a super woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing! I'm sure my readers will love it. As far as a study schedule still haven't found anything that's particularly best, mostly because the schedule itself is always changing (and what we have going on outside of the hospital!" So I'm happy just squeezing in a half hour of studying a day if that!

      Delete
  9. Why Don't you respond to Instagram comments anymore? Your account was much better before you got a ton of followers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has nothing to do with the number of followers - it just so happens that my followers have steadily increased as I continue on my path - but I'm not just a medical student anymore like I was when I started blogging - I now work full time as a resident and am married and have two kids and pregnant with another and moving... hopefully you get the idea. Life is just, and I share as much as I can in hopes of inspiring others, but at the end of the day it's about living my life and not spending all of my time on social media. But I answer any specific questions people have individually or write blog posts if it's something that comes up often; otherwise responding to every single comment is a little unrealistic.

      Delete
  10. Can you Snapchat more?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do when I can but honestly just don't always have my phone on me!!

      Delete
  11. I'm so happy for you and your family! I'm glad you love your new home much better :)....Thank you for taking the time to do this life update for your readers, do you think you will make videos on your youtube channel again? (Not rushing, of course when you have the time! just wondering :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I sure hope to! It's exciting in our new place I think there will definitely be a spot for filming videos :)

      Delete
  12. Can you do an update on how daycare is going for your girls?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eventually sure! Right now I only have Liv in preschool - we take care of our mother-in-law who we moved in with us so she watches Elli during the day. She also drops off Liv to preschool and then I pick her up after work!

      Delete
  13. Do you want to have a son?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly no preference, a healthy happy baby is all we could ever ask for! I'd be more than happy with 3 girls or 2 girls and a boy!

      Delete
  14. I love how you actually change situations that you don't like instead of dwelling on them like most people do. Blessings to you and your fam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! Life is too short to live any other way.

      Delete
  15. Your new place looks so wonderful! Good for you for making the changes your life needs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Does your husband ever blog? We don't get to see many pics of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. seriously? lol no offense but are you also interested at what time she showers and eats and goes about her day as well as her husband's? not to make you feel bad but I think she has been sharing so much of her personal life on top of being a Doctor. She is very inspiring indeed and im sure her husband is as well but I honestly think it is a bit too much to ask for more than what she is able to share in this moment.

      Delete
  18. Wow, you've been a busy lady, but glad you found a place that suits your family better. Your residency sounds fascinating! I'm also in the sixth month of pregnancy, so I love your updates and find your inspirational in balancing work and family. How are you feeling with the third pregnancy?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey doc have you heard of Dr. Miami? He's a plastic surgeon and he shows videos of the surgeries that he performs throughout the day on Snapchat. Have you thought about doing this?!! ��

    ReplyDelete
  20. Moving across (even north - south) is tough in general. Then add into the equation -- 2 kids, demanding work schedule that you and your husband have, it just makes it even more tough. I can't imagine anyone doing it as smoothly with elegance, poise, and maturity than your family. Good luck on this new beginning - I hope lots more happiness comes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  21. If you ever want to move out of Miami, you should try Wellington in palm beach. We moved out of Miami around 4yrs ago and it was one of the best decisions for our family. The only thing we miss from Miami is the food!. (There's nothing like the food from Miami). This area is very family oriented and the schools are really good. We are blessed to live in the Olympia Community and it's pretty nice, we have great friendly people. We have a great hospital just across from our community. ( I sound like I'm trying to sell you this place. Lol) but I wish you many blessing to you and your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so happy everything is working out for you and your family! And the house is sooo cute :) Xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow! It's sound like you had quite the month! I've been following your blog for a while, and I'm sooo happy to hear that everything has been working out post med school! Btw, your house is too cute! :) Xo
    https://thestylishmedblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi! I stumbled upon your blog! I am actually moving to Miami for residency this June with my husband and our 2 year old. Can I ask you which area you didn't like and what areas you do? We'd love a single house with a yard for him to run around! Please let me know if you get a chance. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make my day! If you have a specific question you want answered, please send me a message by clicking the Contact tab at the top, or even better, contact me on twitter or facebook and I'll get back to you ASAP! Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Designed by Minimalsphere