blank'/> A LITTLE BIT OF LACQUER: A Day in the Life: Wards

February 23, 2016

A Day in the Life: Wards


Day in the life posts are always fun so today I'm sharing a pretty typical wards call day - this is the rough schedule of what a day looks like while "short call." An easy call day - because some days you can get 4 new admissions instead of 1, and some days rounds are interrupted by a rapid response or code blue and ICU transfer - so the day I'm sharing below is a nice calm one with no surprises lol! 

Really quickly, our schedule works on a Q4 call system, meaning we work late until 9pm (or later) every fourth day. We work through weekends and holidays, getting a lucky "golden" weekend (meaning both Saturday and Sunday off) once a month. Here's roughly how it works:


Although it sounds bad, and is pretty exhausting, it is at least nice having those post-call days when you can theoretically get out around 1pm and have the rest of the day free. Without saying much more let's jump into the day!


Mornings are always hectic and involve lots of working as quickly as possible with rounds, consults, and early discharges if there are any, usually in the afternoons things can slow down a bit depending on admissions. 


Like I said, this is a nice, slow call day, things can get much crazier, but like with everything else you learn to just go with it and adjust to the madness (or go mad yourself if you can't keep up)! As much as some days it sucks leaving the girls, I love working and I being a doctor. And the nice part is that in residency we are still constantly rotating through different blocks, so while this block is pretty intense and doesn't allow much time off, next month I do a rotation in the emergency department which allows for a lot more time at home with the girls (and the month before this I was doing outpatient primary care, again very schedule friendly). So there's light at the end of the tunnel! 

Below I just wanted to share my typical wards outfit - for short call days we're supposed to actually get dressed, long call and post call days we can wear scrubs :) It's not strictly enforced so some days I just wear scrubs, but it's fun to get dressed for work when I actually have the time! 


The necessities? Cute shoes that are most importantly COMFORTABLE! These are the absolute best, and look great with a dress, slim pants, or jeans on days off! They actually come in more colors too that you can find here at a bit higher price tag. Of course my white coat (I owned the short coat version of this lab coat my last year of medical school and absolutely loved it - the fabric was soft and thick, not stiff and easily wrinkled, and the fit was just perfect) - our hospital provides them this year, but if I had to buy my own I'd buy this one in a heartbeat. You can never go wrong with a simple knee length dress. And of course my stethoscope (the cheapest I've found it)! And almost forgot! The perfect bag - I've mentioned it multiple times (here and here), and right now it's finally on sale for $88! For the hospital I love a bag with lots of pockets to throw my stethoscope, snacks, pocket-sized books, pager, and more! And most importantly, although I love a good leather bag, for the hospital I prefer a material that I can wipe clean and try sanitizing so I'm not bringing MRSA home! PS- for long call and post call days when we're allowed to wear scrubs, my favorite brand is FIGS! The material make for the softest scrubs I've ever owned, the fits are modern and don't make me feel like I'm drowning in my pants, and they're even antimicrobial (and wrinkle free)! And even better for each pair purchased they donate a pair to healthcare workers in need! Get 15% off your entire order using code 'figsxlacquer’! 


11 comments:

  1. You are truly my inspiration! I am currently pre-med. I am a sophomore in college. I want to become a Pediatrician with a speciality in Internal Medicine. I am so happy I found your blog you and your family are truly amazing! I just started a blog of my own thanks to you! Love this. If you don't mind me asking how did you make that cute chart schedule? Once again great post and keep on inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspire me so much! I have a question for you: what time do you usually go to sleep? Or how many hours of sleep do you try to get? When I go to sleep at 12 pm and wake up at 5 am I go to sleep during the day for example at my desk ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I'm a second year and although I've got a few more months till clinics, I've slowly tried to add pieces to my professional attire. I don't know if you've ever worn toms, and I've heard their allowed for the in-patient setting (like ER/Surgery), but I was wondering if you'd find those "professional enough" to wear with pants? I've got chunky feet and although I have a pair of flats (that are about to expire) and a pair of Clarks heels, I'm hoping I can learn some tips/tricks for like comfort with style.
    Thanks, Cherish

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you started doing interviews for residency did you begin to put some of your social networking profiles on private? I am in my second year of grad school and am in the process of interviewing for internships and have been contemplating on whether or not I should change my blogs viewing status to private until I actually get hired for one. What would you recommend when entering into a professional environment? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I'm a second year and I'm so glad that I'm not the only one worried about carrying MRSA back home lol! How has the bag held up with frequent wiping? Were you using the hospital wipes or just a mild baby wipe? I'm about to start third year soon, so I want to get a bag that is quality, spacious, and will last/ not fall apart. Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. what is your take on nurses? and what are your experiences from them? good and bad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your picks! that dress is so pretty :) and wow girl your day looks crazy and ps I am loving your snapchats haha
    xo
    The Fashionista Bubble

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow your days are busy and you still find time to spend with ypur family and doing the little things. What do you use for your scheduling. I notice you have used the same kind of scheduler for your different "Day in a Life" posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to do is go from left to right line by line using your finger or your hand or your eye or Brain Plus IQ your pen as a guide now I understand that if you're watching this you know webinar online right now and you didn't print out the articles you might not be able to use your hand or maybe.

    http://masspmmusclegrowth.com/brain-plus-iq/

    ReplyDelete
  10. devices on all sorts of things so sometimes it's just better to googlethat information and look Alpha Levo IQ forward otherwise you have to come up with some sort of the some sort of a name or an acronym now let's talk about it exercise that wean do to improve our attention because if you were if.

    http://masspmmusclegrowth.com/alpha-levo-iq/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your picks! that dress is so pretty. Thank you so much!
    Fitness Model at Workout Music Motivation videos.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make my day! If you have a specific question you want answered, please send me a message by clicking the Contact tab at the top, or even better, contact me on twitter or facebook and I'll get back to you ASAP! Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Designed by Minimalsphere