blank'/> A LITTLE BIT OF LACQUER: Elli's Birth Story

December 5, 2015

Elli's Birth Story

Happy weekend y'all! Today marks a week since we welcomed little Elli into our family! So crazy that we already don't know what we did without her! Her delivery was so much different than Liv's, and I can't believe how quickly my body has snapped back this time. Today I'm sharing her birth story! 


This whole pregnancy I've been saying that I was going to have a Thanksgiving baby (as opposed to the original due date of Dec. 10th). On the Tuesday before Thanksgiving I went to sleep with pretty annoying contractions, but nothing major, but by 2am I woke up and couldn't fall back to sleep thanks to the contractions getting stronger and closer together; N woke up and we both hung out waiting for them to get even closer/stronger before heading into the hospital. Thankfully by 5am they let up, instead of progressing, so I went to clinic as scheduled and saw patients for the morning! And then I rushed home after and took all of the pictures I wanted to before baby arrived and finished packing my hospital bag thinking we were getting really close to her actually getting here!

Thanksgiving came and went with no events, I hosted it at my house since my family didn't want me traveling home (and the last thing I wanted was to be stuck in Thanksgiving traffic when I went into labor)! On Black Friday I had my 38 week OB appointment, Liv and I spent the afternoon playing at the park and then went in for my appointment - and to my surprise when the OB checked me I was already 3cm dilated. I knew this didn't mean much - I could have sat at 3cm dilated for another week and a half, but it did mean those contractions were doing something. That week I had been drinking this delicious third trimester tea that was supposed to get your uterus ready for delivery - who knows if it was a placebo effect or not, but I really do think it did something! The days I drank two cups (or steeped two bags at a time) I felt more contractions. At the very least in my mind it tasted delicious and was really calming to drink.

By Friday night I was a little more uncomfortable; N was working late at the hospital and his mom (who lives with us and is a huge help with Liv) was out of town at her other son's house for the Thanksgiving week. I pretty much threw on Christmas movies with Liv and camped out on the couch unable to do much more. I put her down by 9pm and tried laying down myself, but couldn't fall asleep because my uncomfortableness soon pronounced itself as straight up contractions. When N got home around 11 or 12 the contractions were already stronger and coming about every 15 minutes. By 1 they were coming every 7 minutes, and I decided this was probably gonna go down tonight. Then it hit me that although I had my hospital bag packed, I had nothing packed for Liv - bringing her when I went into labor was not part of the plan, but N's mom was out of town! So I waddled around the house frantically, pausing to bend over on hands and knees with each contraction, packing things up for Liv!

We drove to the hospital, I think we got there around 2am, and went straight upstairs - by the time I got there I was having contractions every 2-3 minutes and they were becoming pretty unbearable. They checked me and I was 6 cm dilated and very obviously in labor - they got a room ready for me immediately but could not get IV access - I had two blown IVs before they got a crappy 20 or 22 in me (a tiny needle that isn't ideal), and finally I could head to my labor room. By that point I was yelling with every contraction - as much as I wanted N to be there for me, I didn't want Liv there, so I had them stay out in the waiting room. When I got to my labor room the OB checked me again and I was already 9cm dilated. I never wanted to be that mean lady in labor, but I was pretty pissed that anesthesia wasn't there to give me my epidural yet; I yelled at them (more out of pain, not to try to be mean to them lol) to page anesthesia stat. I was not trying to miss my epidural window! They came not too long after and thankfully placed it without much difficulty, although the contractions were now one on top of the other and trying to sit hunched over without moving was so hard!

It took a while for the epidural to kick in, but eventually it did start to help, and I finally felt comfortable having Liv and N come into the room. I think that was more my fear - I think I could have delivered without an epidural, but it certainly would not have been quiet, and I would not have wanted Liv there (which means N couldn't be there either) - and that I wasn't ok with. So getting the epidural was more of a necessity so that I didn't have to deliver all alone. By now I was fully dilated and my water had already broken on its own not too long after I had gotten the epidural, but the baby was still a bit high up. I think I labored for about another half hour or so, and then when they checked me it was time I could start pushing! One of the downsides of the epidural is that if you have too much anesthesia you can't feel the contractions or focus the efforts of your pushing in the right spot - I made sure that the anesthesia was titrated down to the lowest setting so that I could still feel, but not be screaming in pain. So with every contraction I pushed, and thankfully Liv (who was wide awake that whole time) finally passed out on the couch in our room. After about a half hour of pushing, my nurse (who was absolutely amazing) had me put my hand down, and the baby's head was right there!

They had the OB come in to deliver the baby, and she came in with another OB as back up because of my history of shoulder distocia. The OBs gowned up, I pushed one more time and out came the head! But the baby did have the cord around her neck, and they couldn't decide if I should push again or if they should try loosening it before, I'm honestly not sure what they did but I soon pushed again and delivered the rest of the baby in one push! They put the baby right on my chest and N whispered that it was a girl and I pretty much bawled my eyes out. It was the most amazing feeling ever, I'm so happy we kept it a surprise!! They cleaned her up quickly and immediately gave her back to me and I just held her - no whipping her away to the NICU like they had to do for Liv. So much of this labor was so different from Liv's. I didn't even tear, which I was terrified of happening - last time the episiotomy really made the healing process so much longer, and the 24 hour labor and hours of pushing led to postpartum urinary retention and chorioamnitis and just a really tough time after having Liv. This time was just so different. We got to the hospital a little after 2am, and Elli was born at 5:30am.

The best part was Liv waking up when we moved to our postpartum room and us introducing her to her baby sister - she was half asleep and the most adorable kind of excited! And even better (and in stark contrast to Liv's delivery), N was able to stay with me the whole time (last time he still had to go to class while I was in the hospital). My mom came into town to watch Liv while we stayed at the hospital over the weekend, and we spent the time cuddling up in the bed with our brand new babe and ordering Indian and Italian takeout and watching movies on his laptop, and trying to come up with a name! And even more shocking to me, that same morning I was walking myself and using the bathroom myself and that night I took a shower - basically I felt like a human within the first day of delivering, something that took days and days the first time. I left the hospital walking (and carrying our bags lol, N carried the baby in her carseat and the rest of our bags) instead of in a wheelchair. And now one week after I feel pretty much back to completely normal, which is just so hard to believe! And I have two girls and an amazing husband (who also gets paternity leave - another fantastic thing) and I'm just soaking up this time with them; I couldn't be more thankful.


53 comments:

  1. I love that you share these stories with us, Laura! So glad everything worked out better this time :) Congrats to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Congratulations to you and your family. Hoping that when I have children one day, my labor is as easy as this one! All my love. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing! I feel like part of the family because I've been following your story for two years now. You're such an inspiration! God bless your family and I'm so happy to hear you have a healthy baby girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're precious babies, Laura! I'm happy you had such a great delivery. Enjoy your time with your loves :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing!! I'm so glad you had an easier delivery this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! Elliot is beautiful and I'm so glad to hear you had a smooth delivery and everyone is doing well. Thanks for sharing your family's beautiful story. Congrats again and Merry Christmas! PS. N is really outnumbered now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Elliot is beautiful and I'm so glad to hear you had a smooth delivery and everyone is doing well. Thanks for sharing your family's beautiful story. Congrats again and Merry Christmas! PS. N is really outnumbered now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! I love the name ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to you and your beautiful family! Also I love the blanket you placed her on in that picture, and the medical details you went into in your story! It must be reassuring to know the procedures while it's occurring. Best wishes and Happy Holidays to you all :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! could not be happier for you guys. I am glad things went better the second time around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your new addition to the family! Thanks for sharing the story. I'm a 2nd yr med student and even if I haven't started rotations it's nice to read the story from a medical perspective. Just out of curiosity, what ethnicity are you? Lol I just came across a post where you wrote you were mixed I always thought you were full hispanic. Congrats again! Sending you and your family love and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful story! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. SO beautiful, and I LOVE LOVE the name Elliot! So happy for you guys <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved this story! When my son Eli was born 4 years ago, it was a gong show - episiotomy + tear + vacuum assisted delivery and recovery was bruuuuuutal. So it's reassuring to read that #2 can be a much smoother experience. Glad to hear you are feeling good, and Elli is absolutely gorgeous. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad that you had a safe delivery and your new addition is such a cutie, you have an adorable family! Im excited to read your upcoming post describing your time off from residency!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aw! I'm so happy for you and the family! Congrats <3

    Roxi - www.goldenpolkadots.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. right leg back behind you taking way 3 to your headset been point you're right goes down twenty from when you're ready step back coming into you who are you add you to Arnold Iron Pump write what is Para shortage in and the left but is pointed followed open up I'm make your Armstrong .


    http://t-rexmusclefacts.com/arnold-iron-pump/

    ReplyDelete
  18. recess very I weary workbooks astray I'll always this case in excise is the reverse Pre Jym perextension which is in cases all up me and it this case is that's like more effective that rely recession on by I say that both criticized bus versus my favor so this time in it a look read out.


    http://t-rexmusclefacts.com/pre-jym/

    ReplyDelete
  19. like perfect I did I can’t are campaign okay actually lower and then to bed I I’m be SKIN LOGIC ANTI-AGING CREAM thank you very much to both here and it’s just gone it just finished likely open great room by trained at that base I think Rachel pardon me good three-time initiate light medium and feature .

    http://t-rexmusclefacts.com/skin-logic-anti-aging-cream-look-feel-years-younger/

    ReplyDelete
  20. your legs still nice and strong amber Rayne your body all the way up to your hands forward slowly come up magic you did had bring your legs together to shake it out Perfect Biotics now bring one make forward and one make back for Crescent poems to get that back leg nice and strong winds to rate to wrap your arms down and strong your holiness Chris opposed real had a triceps toner today.

    http://t-rexmusclefacts.com/perfect-biotics/

    ReplyDelete
  21. For example, Chevron employees staff two hospitals and four clinics in Nigeria, including a riverboat clinic that sends Probiotic America Perfect Biotics care providers to riverside communities. Biltmore, for example, offers a nondenominational chaplain service-on call 24 hours-to assist employees and immediate family members with divorce, serious illness, death and grief recovery, child rearing, and the care of aging parents.http://www.healthyminimarket.com/probiotic-america-perfect-biotics/

    ReplyDelete
  22. The idea is essential for ladies in order to keep a higher level when compared with men, there are generally supplements designed specifically with regard to women. Should an individual become seeking a new alteration of lifestyle in order to boost your current health insurance and stay away from high health-related costs, get more proProbiotic America Perfect Biotics into your diet. Since with the benefits of these supplements with regard to nails and hair, many woman just take them.http://www.healthyminimarket.com/probiotic-america-excellent-biotics/

    ReplyDelete
  23. A simple blood test is all it takes to check if your Crevalor Build Muscle falls within the normal range. Learning that your Crevalor Build Muscle is low can be unsettling, but it's not a reflection of virility or manhood” at all. Speak to your doctor about your treatment options, but a few lifestyle changes may be all you need to re-energize, body and spirit. Testo VI has been formulated for maximum strength, and we cannot be responsible for the adverse effects that you may experience by the misuse of this product. This product will help you increase your energy levels, sex drive, Crevalor Build Muscle mass and vitality.http://www.supplement2go.com/crevalor/

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is the a lot of recognized and discussed protein relating to the two. Its perform is usually to care for the tightness, the firmness and toned condition of your skin. Collagen fibers support most tissues on the skin which are answerable to the flexibility and strength of the skin. These are likewise to blame for getting fitter blood vessels together with for tissue development. As a consequence, as soon as your collagen levels will degrade, it can make your skin layer wrinkling which eventually accompanies aging of the individual.http://www.supplement2go.com/dermagen-iq/

    ReplyDelete
  25. You will see minimum 3 kinds of anti aging solutions you require for any skincare program. There could be more depending on unique troubles you could possibly opt to target yet, in common, these 3 things, when chosen accurately leads to outstanding anti-aging effects regarding reestablishing younger elegance and eradicating those unnecessary and uncomfortable maturing that folks all give up hope. http://www.supplement2go.com/ginoni-milan/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Like a fairytale weaved and spun with magic threads, the story of KHAS started with a dream over half a century back. A subsidiary of the Sadaqat Group, that has won respect and awards all over the world, the vision of Khas is to make the same quality available here in Pakistan.
    hotel bedding
    bridal bedding
    luxury bedding

    ReplyDelete
  27. Although there are many choices to choose from when attempting to ameloriate the cosmetic effects of those Phytobella marks, it can create your call hard to perceive which is the most effective to decide on. As dispiriting as that is, there are credible product and techniques to effectively treat this Phytobella condition. This causes this space of the Phytobella to regrow itself, and therefore the result's that the new Phytobella has a smoother and healthier appearance.http://www.healthyminimarket.com/phytobella/

    ReplyDelete
  28. The biggest modification I created to my diet was increasing my fat and cholesterol intakeFitcrew Usa Xtreme Testrone . There's a reason why previous faculty robust men would drink raw eggs — studies have prompt that higher fat and cholesterol consumption leads to increased levels of total T ; men eating low-fat diets sometimes have decreased testosterone Fitcrew Usa Xtreme Testrone levels The emphasis on increasing fat and cholesterol consumption meant I got to eat like Ron Swanson for three months — Fitcrew Usa Xtreme Testrone bacon and eggs and steak was pretty much the staple of my diet.
    http://www.supplement2go.com/fitcrew-usa-xtreme-testrone/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Some individuals swear that the diet pills they're taking are effective and safe Slim Trim 2000 while others do not suggest taking any supplements in the slightest degree. Because people?s bodies are so completely different, it?s not possible to mention that one supplement works better for all dieters than other slimming pills Slim Trim 2000 or no supplements the least bit. Research does show that some supplements, many of which are all-natural merchandise, do facilitate with weight loss. However, no diet pill is the ultimate answer to losing weight Slim Trim 2000 and keeping it off. The solely manner to get to a healthy weight and stay there's to follow a healthy diet and exercise. If you decide to try a weight loss supplement, it ought to be employed in conjunction with eating well and operating out.
    http://www.supplement2go.com/slim-trim-2000/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Magnesium is an abundant mineral that's used in more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body and is specifically known to be involved in energy metabolism and protein synthesis. Like magnesium, zinc is another mineral that's essential for protein synthesis, making oysters a top food for Power Pump Xl growth. Ever since we were young lads, men have constantly been reminded of the importance of milk to a growing body. The benefit of milk to Power Pump Xls is even greater considering that it mixes so well with whey protein. Soy is also stacked with other important vitamins and minerals, making this meat alternative one of the healthiest Power Pump Xl-building foods around.http://www.supplement2go.com/power-pump-xl/

    ReplyDelete
  31. A Ultra Trim 350 Forskolin Program is one thing that you wish to take seriously. You have to show a sure quantity of dedication and focus if you're going to be concerned with a smart Ultra Trim 350 Forskolinprogramme. The one that helps you with the detailed program is somebody who will produce a positive state of affairs for you. You are visiting wish to focus on nutritional price during your key sessions.http://www.supplement2go.com/ultra-trim-350-forskolin/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Dove go fresh Fresh Touch Beauty Cream Bar combines the refreshing scent of cucumber and green tea with our gentle cleansers and ¼ moisturising cream so you can enjoy the look and feel of softer, smoother and healthier skin. After the cream sets into the skin it feels like there's a moisture barrier covering my skin. The FAB Antioxidant Booster?comprised of licorice root, feverfew, and white tea?defends skin from free radical damage.http://www.supplement2go.com/auralei-purity-cream/

    ReplyDelete
  33. In this context, an age reversing night cream would assume Phyto Youth 450 significance. Once you've got discovered the very first signs of aging on the Phyto Youth 450 skin, you'll be able to start using a real product to maintain skin radiance and glow intact, which, subsequently, would enable you to look as young as there's a chance you're feeling inside.http://www.supplement2go.com/phyto-youth-450/

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ginkgo is significantly fascinating to researchers as a result of of its potential to treat Alzheimer's disease and Neuro Nzt age-related mental decline. Several studies have shown that it does help these conditions, and it's routinely prescribed in places like Germany and France. Half I-III are nicely written and they are smart reads Neuro Nzt for private interest. A heap of the content on Parkinson's Disease or depression I do not would like. I skim through them.http://www.healthyminimarket.com/neuro-nzt/

    ReplyDelete
  35. Alright, therefore I have those taken care of. On to another point. Get products with antioxidants because these revive the natural proteins, known as elastins and collagens, that make the skin flexible and elastic like, preventing wrinkles. You should build certain they include vitamins a, c, and e inside them. Image Eye Serum These are all important to your skins health.http://www.supplement2go.com/lmage-eye-serum/

    ReplyDelete
  36. You can never have an excessive amount of money or testosterone, Testostaxx and while we tend to cannot help with the previous, we will undoubtedly aid you in the latter- set your inner Neanderthal loose with Chaos and Pain's herbal testosterone booster and libido enhancers. Let's face it guys, while not it Testostaxx , life sucks. You gotta have it to be sturdy, intense and, well, to be a MAN. Whether you are at work or at home, at the gym, running or swimming, testosterone boosters place you sooner than the competition. Ahead Testostaxx of that tired guy sitting acquainted with no motivation. And WAY prior to that guy with an sad wife. Don't be that guy. We tend to will help. Everything you need is right here, thus return get some! http://www.supplement2go.com/testostaxx/

    ReplyDelete
  37. The cosmetic industry spends millions of dollars on developing high age defying creams and beauty products for girls on top of fifty. These product are further normal in their own individual sense. Some of them are lighter than foundations, while others are creaseless eye shadows or creamier lip merchandise. This is not the conclusion, you will find plenty a lot of.http://www.supplement2go.com/lyt-derma/

    ReplyDelete
  38. It needs a whole program of diet, nutritional supplements and rest. I Alpha Brain Instant conjointly highly advocate infrared lamp saunas to help rebuild the bodyÕs energy system. See the article on Adrenal Burnout for more information. A person could feel or behave as if slightly inebriated, Alpha Brain Instant though they consume no alcohol. The symptoms are typically worse if one eats a heap of carbohydrates, especially sugars together with sweet juices and fruits. Starches and sugars feed the yeast organisms. In extreme cases, the yeast will truly invade the brain. á Parents are often not helping their kids with college work as a lot of as in earlier generations as a result of they are exhausted, or too busy.
    http://www.supplement2go.com/alpha-brain-instant/

    ReplyDelete
  39. These skincare programs make Pure Ceramides a large impression inside your battle against lines in their own personal privileges. When blended benefits less complicated additional gorgeous. For those who have declared war on wrinkles you will need these fundamental things with your war chest. So there it is. http://www.supplement2go.com/pure-ceramides/

    ReplyDelete
  40. Every item is charged with reasonable prices and available for long term applications.usa health product Before using these health products,usa health products one must check the ingredients of them and if anything is not suitable individually.
    For more visit on: - http://www.usahealthproduct.com/

    ReplyDelete
  41. healthy diet to help you maintain health or improve it. It's very vital to boost your health so as to be happy and fancy life. That's the bad news, teaches lifestyle consultants like Dr. Coral Arvon , Director of Behavioral Health and Wellness at the Pritikin Longevity Center in Miami, Florida. http://www.supplement2go.com/atp-extreme/

    ReplyDelete
  42. How long did you have off and take off for maternity leave?

    ReplyDelete
  43. And guess what? The people in the Dr. Oz study achieved weight loss too The study that started the hype consisted of 16 overweight patients,Chlorogen 800 split evenly between men and women. Each patient had a body mass index (BMI) higher than 25.Chlorogen 800 green coffee All participants took a 750mg and 1,050mg dose of green (unroasted) coffee beans as a supplement.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Superb work-from-home opportunity for anyone... Work for three to eight hours daily and start earning about $5k-$12k each month... Regular weekly payments...If this interest you try here
    ◐◐◐◐◐◐ ­w­w­w­.­m­o­m­e­a­r­n­.­c­o­m­

    ReplyDelete
  45. Bellaplex have created this channel to talk in general beauty in makeup because no pain depopulate the channels recently yesterday requests users and in any case I found on the internet but the misunderstandings and Barry m failings on the part of many people to Val d as for Hillary products that are for sale or information should be basic for good food in the body and especially the face AIGAM

    http://www.optimalstackfacts.us/do-not-buy-bellaplex-read-this-first/

    ReplyDelete
  46. premium cleanse like to do is hard boil or soft boil eggs we do have a video about how to do that our channel and then add them into salads into sandwiches you can com make deviled eggs for instance so there's a lot of ways to integrate eggs not just for breakfast so all they do make a really great breakfast foods I actually integrate eggs into a lot of different meals ants especially if you are a vegetarian eggs are going to be

    http://optimalstackfacts.us/premium-cleanse-effective-waste-removal

    ReplyDelete
  47. ✔✔✔Yahoo CEO, Marissa Meyer has gone som far as to Support the practice "Work at home" that I have been doing since last year. In this year till now I have earned 66k dollars with my pc, despite the fact that I am a college student. Even newbies can make 39 an hour easily and the average goes up with time. Why not try this
    ║play game║ O════► =============== >> http://careersreportsonline.org.uk/bo0539

    ReplyDelete
  48. I've made $64,000 so far this year w0rking 0nline and I'm a full time student. I'm using an 0nline business opportunity I heard about and I've made such great m0ney. It's really user friendly and I'm just so happy that I found out aboutit. Here’s what I've beendoing…
    O════► =============== >> http://www.pocket-cents50.com

    ReplyDelete
  49. Liproxenol Max Depending on the person you ask, they are going to let you know that multi-level marketing has been around for a while or just a couple of decades. It can help you make money for your future. Read this article and you'll get great advice on how to use this type of thing to your advantage.

    Read More>>> http://www.healthbuzzer.com/liproxenol-max/

    ReplyDelete
  50. These are some great tips. For those who could use some more specific advice, tips and information about great article thanks for posting.
    Fitness Model at Workout Music Motivation videos.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make my day! If you have a specific question you want answered, please send me a message by clicking the Contact tab at the top, or even better, contact me on twitter or facebook and I'll get back to you ASAP! Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Designed by Minimalsphere