blank'/> A LITTLE BIT OF LACQUER: Maternity Leave While in Residency

November 20, 2015

Maternity Leave While in Residency

Happy Friday y'all! Today marks a big Friday for me - I am finally done with my inpatient rotations and now have three months of elective time! I've been getting this question a lot, so I figured I could detail a bit of how I'm making "maternity leave" work during intern year. 


For starters, it helped that our timing actually worked out and we got pregnant at the end of fourth year - the worst first couple of months of pregnancy (first trimester for me) were spent not having to do much and just wait for graduation. I started intern year right at the start of my second trimester and thankfully by then my energy was coming back and I didn't feel as sick. Even more importantly, though, was that I was able to talk with my program director and my chief residents (residents in their last year of training who are responsible for a lot more of the administration side of residency - making schedules work and settling conflicts, etc.) before starting residency and make the schedule best work for having a baby. For me, that meant getting all of my overnight and "harder" rotations like ICU out of the way early. It also meant saving up all of my elective time for right around when the baby was due - that way no one has to cover me on an inpatient rotation while I'm gone.

By law, I can still take up to 3 months completely off for maternity leave (although only a month of it would be paid). Because of ACGME requirements, though, (the folks who oversee graduate medical education, ie residency training), any time over one month spent outside of the hospital is time I have to make up in the next training year. So let's say I did choose to officially take off December, January, and February, I could come back in March, but then instead of finishing in June like everyone else, I'd have to stay July and August as well making up that time off. Although to some mamas it sounds unfair, for training purposes it makes total sense. This isn't an option for me, though, because as soon as we finish our programs in June we have about a week to move down to Miami before starting our advanced 3-year residencies. So all of that to say, yes, residents can take 3 months of maternity leave like everyone else, but because of our training requirements much of that time has to be made up, and not all of us can afford to make it up.

So back to how I'm making it work. As part of our training we do get 3 months of elective time, and 3 weeks of vacation time that comes out of this. All of this is paid time. Elective months can be spent doing a research project, working in a more schedule-friendly primary care clinic or other outpatient clinic, etc. Depending on what you choose to do you're looking at a 2- or 3-day work week, or coming in every day but only in the mornings, and getting your weekends off with no call or overnight responsibilities. So for me, I'll be starting elective next week, working in a Spanish-speaking primary care clinic a couple of days a week, pretty much until I go into labor. When I go into labor I'll pretty much just inform my program director and chiefs that I'm taking my 3 weeks of vacation (and again, because I'm on elective no one has to cover me). And I will have to come back to the hospital after those 3 weeks are up, but it will be to a much nicer elective rotation again, where I'm sort of just coming in part time. After my three months of elective time I'll head back to the wards on an inpatient service again. I think that's as good as it gets for having a baby during intern year and I really couldn't ask for more! N will also get elective time in December and paternity time whenever I head into labor, so I couldn't be more thankful for that. And I have my mother-in-law, pretty much the godsend of intern year, who'll be taking care of both babies while I'm away. I spoke a little more about this arrangement (and all of the other childcare options we've been through) in this post here! She's just as excited (if not more excited) than I am to add our second seat to our stroller that I just got for the baby shower! Can't believe we're about to be living that double stroller life lol!

12 comments:

  1. That's good to know I always wondered/worried for expecting mamas working at hospitals espically during their residency. Can't wait till baby #2 is here he/she is going to be beautiful ^_^
    Love from VA <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I've been waiting for this post forever. :) Thank you so much for explaining everything about maternity leave in residency and how you guys made it work it out for you.
    Also, I'm really looking forward to see some future posts on juggling two babies while being a work-mama and similar topics. :) You are such an inspiration!
    Many blessings to you and your beautiful family <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad your program is open to working out everything with you! As a 3rd year med student (getting married to a MSTP at the end of this school year) I have been thinking of babies in residency. Thanks for sharing how you are making it work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe I haven't seen it, but can you do a post about being pregnant and still studying? I know you were studying for USMLE when Liv was a baby. But how was it to do rotations and the like when you were pregnant? And just in general class attendance and everything. Please and thanks ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura you're such an inspiration. As a young woman pursuing a career in medicine I often wondered how I could juggle starting a family while in medical school or residency... I'm glad to hear that life can be manageable and enjoyable if you make it work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Or salmon. Beats. Nuts. Protein powders. In a regular typical eating regimen the greater part of us have a tendency to devour the lion's share of our protein at supper time, pro muscle fit perhaps you ought to take a leaf out of the books of muscle heads and competitors and begin spreading your admission for the duration of the day. Why? Firstly protein not at all like crabs tends to abandon us.

    http://www.healthybeats.net/pro-muscle-fit-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! I really hope you find the time to reply to this message because I'm having a tough time finding an answer for this elsewhere! I gave birth 6 months ago and only took 1 month off. That was unpaid. I never knew getting paid 1 month was an option. My program said it would have to be unpaid. Is there any specific acgme rule that states I should be able to have had that month paid?? I would love your input!
    I'm also staying back 1 month extra after June to make up for the 1 month I took off.
    My blog: www.fortheloveofeverything.com
    Hellllpppppp!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!! Congrats on the new baby and balancing residency, it's not easy!! I only have the one month paid because I am using my one month of vacation time (well, three weeks of vacation time and one week of sick time). So I'm using up all of that time to make up my one month off - outside of that I don't think there's any official "paid" time. Did you use your vacation and sick time? If there's any way you can apply that if you haven't already I would talk to the program about that. And maybe that way you won't have to make up the month after either?

      Delete
  8. Hi Laura. I have been following your blog for so long and it continually inspires me how positive you are and humbled you are by the life you have created for yourself and family. Thank YOU for feeling confident enough to share everything that you do. I also love your medical posts because you give real scenarios and thoughts to what it means to be a med student and doctor in this time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is amazing post having great knowledge about skin care products . thanks for this useful post.
    Fitness Model at Workout Music Motivation videos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In different countries, we have found different laws on maternity leave. Especially working mothers are really suffering a lot on how to deal with their pregnancy and family simultaneously. Therefore, government and law provide suitable facilities (maternity) to working mothers.
    Stay at home mother

    ReplyDelete
  11. A critical aspect of creating a CV that has a dynamic impact is writing a personal statement, sometimes called a profile or career summary that will enable the recruiter to quickly identify the strategic value you can add to their organisation. psychiatry residency programs

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make my day! If you have a specific question you want answered, please send me a message by clicking the Contact tab at the top, or even better, contact me on twitter or facebook and I'll get back to you ASAP! Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Designed by Minimalsphere