blank'/> A LITTLE BIT OF LACQUER: Curly Hair Care (me and Liv)!

May 7, 2015

Curly Hair Care (me and Liv)!


I get tons of questions from mamas of babes with curly hair about how I take care of Liv's hair. And after posting this picture on Instagram of the two of us a couple of days ago I got many from you all about how I take care of mine as well! I figured today I'd do a quick post on how I take care of our curly hair (especially since our routines are pretty much the same)!

I think the key for both of our hair is that we shampoo only 2-3 times per month. We rinse it with conditioner at least 1-2 times per week and only detangle our hair while it's wet with conditioner in it. 

For my hair, I wash with this coconut shampoo, and usually only do so if I'm going to straighten my hair or if I need to wash out a lot of hair product. Otherwise, in the shower I soak my hair with this conditioner, detangle while it's in, and then rinse. I squeeze out as much water as I can using just my hands, and then evenly distribute this gel through my hair. Then I flip my head over and scrunch it up a bit and let air dry. I love this gel because it doesn't leave a crunchy finish and is very light. It also doesn't leave very much build up. When I was using a thicker gel that left a very crunchy finish I had to scrunch the curls again when they were dry to get the crunchiness out (which worked fine too)! In between days I do the conditioner washes I just re-wet my hair a bit and add a tiny bit more gel/scrunch/dry. 



For Liv's hair, I wash with this baby shampoo (we've used it since she was a newborn), and only do so if it's really dirty (ie, she decided to put the spaghetti sauce in her hair). Otherwise, in the bath I use the same conditioner I use for my hair and work it through her hair. I section her hair into at least 4-6 sections (usually 2-3 on the top half of her head and 2-3 on the bottom half) and finger comb it while she plays in the tub. I then carefully rinse it out (since this one isn't "tear free," although we've never had any issues yet) and gently towel dry her hair. I add a little bit more of the conditioner as a leave in after she's out of the tub, and then we air dry! That's pretty much it! If I'm styling her hair into pigtails or something where it needs to be a little slick back I use the same light gel I use for my hair. Otherwise if she's wearing it out we just re-wet it with a spray bottle, add some conditioner and let it dry. 

Hope this can help some of you who are trying to figure out a curly hair care routine for you or your little!!


Shop our hair care routine:



Shop our outfits:


15 comments:

  1. Thanks, Laura! I'm also a naturally curly girl and although I read a TON of articles on how to properly care for my hair, I'm really just looking for the simplest, quickest routine. I absolutely love Aussie's conditioner, I think that I'm going to go back to using it. I also love their 3-minute miracle, it's fantastic for detangling purposes. I don't spare any when it comes to using those, the price is right and the product works, so I use as much as I need. Good enough for me. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's the tough part, reading up about the right hair care routines but then being realistic about how much time (and money) we actually have to spend on our hair! It's part of the reason Liv and I use so many of the same products! xx

      Delete
  2. I use Aussie's 3 minute miracle! It does wonders for my curls. I'm also a big fan of shea moisture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 minute miracle is great stuff! We've got a few of the shea moisture curl products too, they just haven't replaced our staples! Will have to try them more often!

      Delete
  3. Liv is so precious!! I can't get over it! As for the hair, it's refreshing to see people who can manage their curly hair without losing their sanity! I recently stopped getting relaxers and it's definitely been a daily struggle to keep my curly hair neat and maintained - thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely not the easiest, but I want Liv to grow up loving her hair just the way it is, so I'm trying to do the same for myself as well!! I'm sure your hair is gorgeous!

      Delete
  4. I've been using Miss Jessie's Multicultural Curls in my hair and love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't tried that! I like her Pillow Soft curls product but wasn't in love, but reading the reviews of the Multicultural Curls this one sounds perfect! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. Laura, I just found your blog via someone on IG and I am so in love with it already! I found this post and it was literally a Godsend for my daughter and I... Both curly-q's and I have never found anything to work on conditioning her hair to the point where I can brush it nicely, not hurt her and it stays curly throughout the day and not be a tangled mess! I read this blog Friday, went to the store Saturday and bought Coconut shampoo, the Aussie conditioner and a wet brush! Our lives are forever changed! Thanks for the recommendation!!!! :) You rock and your little girl has gorgeous hair! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have looking most beautiful. I like your hair style. Please Visit:

    good products for curly hair
    African American Curly Hair

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome hair style for your kids, and you are also looking pretty here, If you want to straight your kids hair then Dr, Sanjay Parashar is the best....Look at his clinic Hair Transplant Cost in Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its really great and information blog you have shared, which is knowledgeable. You can also find some great information at best hair products.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have visited this blog first time and i got a lot of informative data from here which is quiet helpful for me indeed..

    Hair Thickening Cream

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very helpful integration of information beneficial to get healthy hair in natural way. .If you want healthy and shiny hair then you need daily care for that. Using expensive cosmetics only can not better treat you hair. It is very important that it is included in you daily hair care routine.

    Here in this section we are giving you some easy hair care routine maintaining tips. What should I Include In My Hair Care Routine

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make my day! If you have a specific question you want answered, please send me a message by clicking the Contact tab at the top, or even better, contact me on twitter or facebook and I'll get back to you ASAP! Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Designed by Minimalsphere