blank'/> A LITTLE BIT OF LACQUER: Good-for-you Banana Carrot Muffins

April 10, 2015

Good-for-you Banana Carrot Muffins


Today I wanted to share a fun recipe I threw together in an effort to ease my mom guilt over giving Liv too many baked goods. I'm a huge sweet tooth, and when Liv would literally wake up in the morning and the first word out of her mouth was "cupcakes," I knew we had a problem. These banana carrot muffins (or cupcakes as she thankfully thinks they are) are way better than their super-sweet and nutrient-lacking funfetti cousins (although I still love funfetti cupcakes), and are a huge hit in this household.


(Really) roughly, the recipe I threw together looked something like this:

1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 large eggs
2 (almost disgustingly) ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1 tablespoon olive oil


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients (some fancy bakers will say do the dry first, then beat in the eggs, blah blah blah. Just throw it all in there it'll be fine)! Liv loves helping out with baking these, so I'll pre-measure the ingredients and let her toss them in the bowl (and then estimate how much she got on the counter instead of the bowl and try to replace accordingly)! Line your muffin tin and fill them with your batter, then pop in the oven for 25-30 minutes (or until a fork comes out clean)! 


And voila! Delicious muffins you'll actually feel good about eating!

Also - I promise I do Liv's hair. We made these first thing in the morning with her bed head, because she literally did wake up repeating "cupcakes." 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Laura, thanks for sharing the recipe. I stopped cooking for my Olivia (13 mo) since we are moving to San Francisco in 2 weeks and it's been soooo hectic! Have you ever put other/more veggies in the muffins? I was thinking zucchini might be nice too. Thanks ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Annie! The beauty of these muffins is that you really can toss any fruit/veggie in the mix! We just used what we had laying around the house, but zucchini sounds like it would be delicious! I've even seen some recipes using pureed steamed broccoli or sweet potato! It's definitely safe to say you can get as creative as you like!

      Delete
  2. That last picture! You can tell she really loves them :) Good job mom!

    Roxi - www.persianfrenchie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zucchini muffins are delicious!! I can vouch for that. And Liv is beautiful hair done or undone. She can't go wrong. The pictures are THE cutest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the faces Liv pulls! You have such an adorable child! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom used to make these whole wheat muffins with grated apple...so good they tasted like junk food but way healthier! And also...Liv's wrinkled nose face is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, these look delicious, I'll have to try them! I hope you don't mind me asking, but I recently saw on your twitter that you didn't match in derm this yr. The logistics must have been really rough as I know your husband was applying in ophtho and that's an early match so you couldn't couples match. Anyway, I was wondering what your plans are... reapply, do more research, do a different specialty, etc? I'm finishing my MS3 yr with three young kids at home so I'm really enjoying your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Her pictures are just adorable! I always bake banana oatmeal muffins and will be posting that recipe this week. But I love variations in my muffins so I can't wait to try this!
    Linh
    http://abeautifulrawr.com

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make my day! If you have a specific question you want answered, please send me a message by clicking the Contact tab at the top, or even better, contact me on twitter or facebook and I'll get back to you ASAP! Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Designed by Minimalsphere