blank'/> A LITTLE BIT OF LACQUER: How to Achieve Your Goals

January 5, 2015

How to Achieve Your Goals

Happy New Year! I hope you all had restful holidays with your loved ones and are ready to take on a new year! 2014 was an amazing year, but no matter how amazing, it's always nice to set new goals and continue growing each year! What are your goals for this year? I've got a few myself, most are more small changes I can make in my daily life, but some are bigger projects I'd love to complete. 

If any of you also have some big goals this year, I hope this post can help you in achieving them! 

Image via Instagram @Sara_De and featured by @DarlingMagazine

1. Write them down: This sounds silly, but writing things down really does get them out and make them tangible. No longer are they dreams and ideas floating around in our mind, now they're in front of you. I like to write plans down in a journal and even continue writing and see where it takes me. Type out your goal or find a cute print that symbolizes it and get it printed - hang it somewhere where you will see it everyday.

2. Surround yourself with likeminded people: Nothing is more detrimental to a goal than having people constantly belittling it. Many of us will continue and succeed, in spite of such talk, and if you can do so bravo! But nothing is more cultivating than having people who are thinking about the same problems you are or working towards the same goals. These aren't cheerleaders, per say (although it's always nice to have them in your corner too) - these are people who you can talk with and bounce ideas of off, learn from, collaborate with. You are almost never alone in your goals - find likeminded people and link up however you can! Social media can be great for finding these people, as can good old fashioned networking. 

3. Break it up and set mini rough deadlines: Goals can seem scary. Especially when they're big, they can seem near impossible. One of my favorite quotes in high school was the classic by Lao Tzu "a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step" - back then the idea of becoming a doctor seemed so far away and would take so long and would basically be impossible. But I would think of that quote and just focus on the next step and now, well, you guys know how time flies! Breaking up your goal into smaller steps serves a couple of purposes - for one, it will allow you to plan your attack, and figure out what actually has to get done to reach your goal. Secondly, it will make the goal seem much less daunting - just focus on the next step, and then the next one, and then nothing will stop you. 

4. Be kind to yourself: I call all deadlines rough deadlines. Now some are rougher than others of course, but for the most part, if you don't accomplish something by the time you wanted, it's ok! The world won't end, you will have another chance tomorrow, or the next month. I mention this because we all have setbacks, or things that come up and require us to temporarily change our priorities, it's life after all. But we can't beat ourselves up over these things, be kind to yourself, and set a new deadline! No need to give up. 

5. Be ok with change - The final thing you have to remember when trying to achieve your goals is that sometimes goals change. Never be so stiff in your goals that you lose your ability to see new opportunity. I for one like to finish things, I'm obsessed with the checking off of checkboxes, so this was a lesson that was hard for me. But we really can't plan for everything, and because of that our goals don't always fit us. Our goals grow or change as we do, and we should be ok with that!

I'd love to hear what tips help you achieve your goals! We all have different things that work for us!

6 comments:

  1. loveliest post!

    there's a quote i came across by paul meyer a while back that i always refer to before setting a new goal:
    "crystallize your goals.
    make a plan for achieving them and set yourself a deadline.
    then, with supreme confidence, determination and disregard for obstacles and other people's criticisms, carry out your plan."

    :)
    vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Along with write them down, I think speaking them aloud truly works! There is power in speech and you'd be surprised how motivated you feel to accomplish something once you've spoken it into existence! great post!

    Dana
    thedanareneeway.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems so simple and practical, but these are all great tips and reminders :) At the top of my list are 3 things: build my business, strengthen my marriage, and work on being the best momma I can be to Marli. I definitely agree that you need to surround yourself with likeminded people who will inspire and support you. Also, now that my hubby and I have been married for 4 yrs, things can get really routine so we made a promise to try harder and date more...and sometimes you do need to write things down to make sure we get those plans in :)
    Linh
    http://abeautifulrawr.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. During my freshman year I thought about starting a club for African Americans that wanted to become doctors but I don't know how to go about doing so, what did you all do and talk about in your club, what was it like being president and how often did you all meet ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. But what if you fail irreversibly?
    I failed and I'm stuck with the results. I'm miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laura. Thanks for the great post. I think I need to surround myself with likeminded people. One thing I have definitely know now is goals change as you grow older and begin to change yourself. But I still think it's a good idea to write something down to make your dream more concrete.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make my day! If you have a specific question you want answered, please send me a message by clicking the Contact tab at the top, or even better, contact me on twitter or facebook and I'll get back to you ASAP! Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Designed by Minimalsphere