blank'/> A LITTLE BIT OF LACQUER: Winter Skin Care Tips

December 10, 2014

Winter Skin Care Tips

It's that time of year again - temperatures are dropping, snow is falling, kids are eagerly awaiting school cancellations, and the annoying dry patch over my left eye has returned. Welcome back, winter. For those of you who live in areas where you get winter, you are familiar with all of this, including the skin problems that pop up! Most often it's dry skin on various points in the dry skin spectrum - from annoying patches here and there to horribly controlled eczema that can even require hospitalization (on my pediatric dermatology rotation I took care of a baby who's eczema was so bad last winter that he was hospitalized)! 

Here are a few of my favorite products and how to use them for combatting the problems that come with winter skin. 


1. Aveeno Skin Relief Body Wash - This unscented body wash (and the Target brand, both of which I've used) are perfect for sensitive skin or skin that tends to get dried out. It doesn't leave your skin feeling stripped of moisture, in fact I usually feel more moisturized after using it! It also still lathers nicely. Make sure to keep your showers short and keep the water mild and not too hot to avoid drying out your skin. This tip is always hard for me to follow because I find hot showers incredibly therapeutic, but to cut down on time spent in the hot water what I do instead is start the shower really hot to get that first "ahhh" effect for a few seconds (or minutes on particularly tough days), then turn the temperature down and wash up!

2. Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser - Ask almost any dermatologist what face wash they recommend and they will give you this one. Even for my acne-prone skin, I still get drier in the winter, and this is my holy grail face wash when I start getting dry skin (*for those who have asked my usual face wash is this one, but it can get drying in the winter time). This face wash is non-stripping, but effectively removes makeup and dirt, and feels wonderful. I used to use it with my Clarisonic brush, but as my time for the AM/PM routine has gotten shorter, I've stopped using the brush altogether (as much as I loved it) and still think the wash is amazing on its own. Use a gentle wash like this one in the morning and evening with lukewarm water, and pat dry with a clean towel after washing.

3. Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream - Another classic, this non-pore-clogging cream can be used literally anywhere on the body and not cause irritation or breakouts. After showering, I pat dry and immediately apply this to my body. I rarely use it on my face because I don't need that much moisture there, but many people do and swear by it. For those that need more intense moisture, Vanicream is a great option, and even comes in a big pump option (super convenient for using, and hygienic)!

4. Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream - Our hands usually get it the worst in winter - and especially those of us washing our hands all the time like doctors, nurses, and teachers - our hands are usually screaming for help! I love this hand cream - it's super concentrated, so a little goes a long way, but as rich as it is, it absorbs quickly and doesn't leave a greasy residue (so I can write without my pen slipping not long after putting it on)! Try to reapply right after washing hands and patting dry. This can also be used anywhere, but I love carrying the little tube around with me for use throughout the day. For those with fingers so dry they get cracked (especially happens to my patients who already have the habit of biting their nails and then have to use their hands all day at work) I recommend using moisturizing gloves at night! After washing hands, apply your moisturizer, and then go to sleep wearing the gloves - this will start to heal up those fingers and keep them from re-cracking!

5. Humidifier - I'm not sure why I took so long to get a humidifier. But I did (N did actually), and have never looked back. Ours actually just broke, and I am realizing now what a huge difference it made! We turn ours up to medium or high during the night and will turn it down to low during the day, essentially running it constantly. All of our nasal congestion (especially Liv's, which is why we initially bought it) and dry/sore throats decreased dramatically (again, something I'm much more aware of now that it's broken)! My contact lenses were more comfortable, and my skin was much less dry. I find myself needing to reapply my moisturizers more often without it! I would seriously consider investing in one, your skin, sinuses, throat, and more will thank you!
*Update* - I replaced my broken one with this one for this winter and we love it. It's about $15 more than our original (the first one linked up above) but this one has some amazing extra features that were worth the price. For one, there is the option to diffuse essential oils - this one is awesome - it's a calming/bedtime blend, and I'm thinking of buying this one that's supposed to be good for colds/decongestion (I haven't used it yet so can't comment on it). It also works as a night light which is perfect for when N or I stumble out of bed to get Elli in the middle of the night for feedings! It has different colors, but you can pick one color and stick with it, or use none at all. And most importantly it does the job of humidifying the air in our bedroom well.

6. Cerave Moisturizing Lotion, SPF 30 - This is my daily AM lotion for my face and I love it (in the evening I use their PM moisturizer). It does its job without breaking me out and almost makes me feel like I'm glowing! Although the sun doesn't feel as warm in the winter months, the UV rays are definitely still damaging, so it's important to continue using a daily moisturizer with sun protection. With the current products I'm using for my face (all listed here in this post) I actually find that the only makeup I need to use is under eye concealer (all the lotion and humidifiers in the world still can't make up for sleep)! You'll find the less makeup you use the happier your skin will be in general, so finding a regimen that allows you to use less is definitely worth it! I will add that I was briefly using a low-dose oral antibiotic for my acne (during the late summer when the stress of wedding planning while on clinical rotations and taking care of Liv became quite apparent in my horrible acne flare)! I have since been off for a couple of months and have not had any flares on this routine (update - it's now been over a year and a half and my skin is still happy on this regimen)! Especially for those of us with dark marks leftover from previous acne, it's even more important to use a daily lotion with SPF, as any bit of sun can make those spots darker and take longer to fade!

7. Aquaphor - No winter skin products list would be complete without Aquaphor. I literally have a little tube of Aquaphor in every bag I own, and in each white coat pocket (maybe a little overkill?). I use this for everything -it's the best moisturizer for your lips - but also for Liv and Elli's diaper areas (we have a huge tub at the changing table), any dry areas, and even small scrapes or irritated areas that need a little protection!

That's it! The products that help get me through the winter with happy and healthy skin! Hope this could be helpful for some of you! And of course, although a lot of these recommendations come from my experience working in dermatology clinic, none of this takes the place of real medical advice - so make sure to make an appointment with your own dermatologist if you're having issues with winter skin! 

27 comments:

  1. Love this post! Many people swear by Aquaphor and Cetaphil :)) When I have the money and time, I will definitely pamper my skin. Thanks for this! Wishing you and your beautiful family the best. When you have the time, please check your facebook and email messages. I'm just reminding you because it has been months I have been waiting. It's fine. I'm sure you're busy with everything. Thanks love for everything. Continue to be a walking inspiration to all. And please pardon any grammar mistakes--in a hurry.
    -Nik

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. If you just click on the name in the text (Cerave Moisturizing Lotion) it's a link and will take you to Amazon where it's pretty much the cheapest, I'm sure you can also find it at your local drugstore too!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the awesome tips Laura! Do you have any advice on treating acne during the winter months? I usually get a couple of hormonal breakouts around that time of the month but haven't quite figured out how to treat/prevent them without drying out my skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a little hard treating acne without drying out the skin, but if your acne is truly hormonal, birth control pills could help greatly and would not dry out your skin in the least! Obviously a personal choice for you but a great option for hormonal acne. Another option would be to use a salicylic acid face wash like neutrogena and then moisturizing with something like cetaphil cream (which won't clog pores) after. Could end up being drying, but the humidifier also helps a lot as well!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the post! Do you use any wrinkle or eye creams? If so, what brands do you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used Bobbi Brown's eye cream and found it wonderfullly smoothing and moisturizing, however, I'm not a fan of jars (introduces lots of bacteria) and it hasn't done much for dark circles. I've heard really great things about Clarins Super Restorative Total Eye Concentrate and this will be my next purchase for sure!

      Delete
  5. I use cerave because its really good for my eczema, and its really bad. Its honestly the only thing that's helped my skin. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is your winter make up routine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very minimial - it's literally my cerave moisturizer, undereye concealer (Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circle Treatment Concealer), and a little eyebrow grooming with a pencil/brush! That's it!

      Delete
  7. Hi Laura, what are your thoughts on parabens? I did use CeraVe on my baby girl for a couple of months but then it really scared me since I read more about their ingredient list on EWG. I also used to use Cetaphil but read they also contain parabens =/ I always feel like it's a lose-lose!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Winter is also really hard on my skin. I am glad I am not the only one suffering. Thanks for the skin care tips on how to help with the torture that my skin is going through right now. Getting a humidifier sounds like a great idea. I will look into that.
    http://www.academydermandcosmeticcenter.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never used lotion on my skin until a couple of years ago. I started having dry skin around my eyes from all the burns I had. What is the best type of lotion for under your eyes? http://www.goldmandermatology.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe I have never thought about getting a humidifier before! The dry weather--especially in winter--drives me crazy because I feel as though I have to constantly reapply moisturizer throughout the day! Maybe I should get a humidifier to help keep my skin moisturized without constantly having to take the time to reapply lotion. http://www.centerdermlaser.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Useful tips to make your skin nourish in winter. Using a moisturizer with sun control would be a huge plus to protect your skin against uv-rays. Thanks for sharing these tips with us.

    SouthFlderm

    ReplyDelete
  12. I moved recently and I am fighting dry skin like crazy. Is there a non-alcohol based hand lotion out there? It would be nice to find something that doesn't require a prescription and a copay.
    http://www.americandermatology.net/home.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. I am grateful to you and expect more number of posts like these. Thank you very much.
    http://www.enfish.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful!! Definitely believe that which you stated. Now I'm easily moisturizing my skin by using Sakare skincare moisturizer. I'd recommend to all my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your blog and take the feeds also…I’m happy to find so many useful info here in the post, we need work out more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing.
    Best Anti Aging Skin Care

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I am sharing about my skin problem, before few months my skin is full of wrinkle and nobody could stop this, but thanks to klinik esthetika which can stop my wrinkle due to skin tightening .

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is essential that you associate your self with good and enough sleep and rest to have youthful skin, aside from having a good habits of course.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is essential that you associate your self with good and enough sleep and rest to have youthful skin, aside from having a good habits of course.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey There. I found your blog using msn. This is a very well written article. I’ll be sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your useful info. Thanks for the post. I’ll definitely return. Read more

    ReplyDelete
  20. Get Appealing and attractive lips is easy now. Here I showed you Ways to Exfoliate Lips Naturally at Home for take care of your lips easily for the whole day.
    Lips care tips

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like your blog! Great post, I just recently tried a similar product that I received for free from perfumora.com. Will buy this one next time!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice post! Very informational and knowledgeable. I will expect more from you in the future.
    Fitness Model at Workout Music Motivation videos.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Loved this idea for a humidifier my skin would be thankful haha! the one you recommended that is also an oil diffuser no longer has the available link. Which brand is yours or do you recommend? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make my day! If you have a specific question you want answered, please send me a message by clicking the Contact tab at the top, or even better, contact me on twitter or facebook and I'll get back to you ASAP! Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Designed by Minimalsphere