blank'/> A LITTLE BIT OF LACQUER: Enjoying the Ride

March 24, 2014

Enjoying the Ride


Happy Monday! It's been a while since I posted last, but things were a bit hectic at work and home in the weeks leading up to our wonderful vacation! We're back now, and although things won't be slowing down anytime soon, I missed you all and posting so here we are for another edition of Med School Monday!

Today I wanted to talk about something that is not at all unique to medicine, it really applies to any demanding career that requires years of "sacrifice," and that is the principle of enjoying the ride.

Too many people on this path believe that "sacrifice" is required to get to where they want to be. And don't get me wrong, lots of hard work and many priority shifts need to be made to get to where you want to be, but to put life on hold until you've made it just means letting good years go to waste.

I think if any of you follow the blog you realize that I don't believe in putting life on hold. But it's only because of early experiences with death and suffering that I've realized every day is a gift. I don't believe in living each day like it's your last (that would just be plain reckless), but I do live with the constant reminder that nothing is promised. We should plan for the future, as this path is hard to travel without some (ahem, a lot) of planning, but we should still be enjoying every day of the present.

So with all that said here are six tips for enjoying the ride on your way to whatever your big dreams are.

  1. Schedule in time for what you love. I've professed my love for planners and organization schemes many times before (here and here just to list a couple), and as important as it is to have your schedule for classes or rotations or work, it is just as important to schedule in time for things important to you. This could mean scheduling a date night on a random Thursday or taking a trip to the spa during a morning off.  
  2. Learn to be efficient. This will help you with scheduling time for other stuff mentioned in number one. See this post for some tips on how to study efficiently. A lot of the same tips are helpful for managing your work tasks as well. Try to get out of the mindset that you are at work just to be at work, nobody pays you to just be there, they're paying for what you're supposed to be doing. So do it! It's hard to remember this if you do shift work, get paid by the hour, or have someone telling you when you can go home (hello all of third year medical school), but even if this is the case, get as much done in the time you have to be there.
  3. Take vacations. Let's stop sucking at taking vacations. If you get vacation time, use it. Plan before vacation for all the work/studying/etc. that has to happen so you can actually enjoy your vacation, and do whatever you have to do to make that vacation happen. Nothing helps clear your head and re-inspire you like a good break. Getting back from vacation now I feel so motivated to work harder - it's a great reminder for why you work so hard in the first place. 
  4. See the bigger picture. It's easy to get caught up in details and minutia and lose sight of the big picture. This leads to silliness like worrying about things that don't really matter in the grand scheme of things, and lots of time wasted that could be spent doing better things. Whatever your big picture is, keep it in mind and refer back to it when you start getting lost in the details. Having a mentor helps for this part of things - someone who is where you want to be and can help shed light on what ends up mattering and what doesn't. 
  5. Stop the comparison game. Seriously. Comparison is the thief of joy. And it's true. The times you feel most stressed out are likely the times that you're comparing yourself to someone else, or your work to someone else's, or your thighs to someone else's, comparing comparing comparing. It's so hard not to, but try to be more aware of it and stop it! Most of the times you're comparing your dirty nitty gritty to someone else's perfectly prepared highlight reel anyway - most people don't share their nitty gritty for the world to see - remember that. And a lot of times you're comparing at different time points - don't compare yourself at point A to someone else at point E (especially when you don't know their point A)! There are just so many variables in our lives that we truly can never compare ourselves to others.  
  6. Figure out where you can "skimp." This might sound a little lazy, but you can't (or at least shouldn't) give 100% in every task on your to-do list. You'll burn out quickly if you try to be the best at everything, and there's no need to be. Figure out where it matters, and focus your attention on that. A mentor is helpful here too, as is getting good old feedback. I used to ask my attendings for feedback (or just observed their body language for what they paid attention to and what they could care less about), and realized that the large majority cared about thorough yet succinct presentations of patients - I focused on that and spent less time on things like writing the most elaborate and extensive patient note (they didn't read them anyway), and because of this I did well on rotations. Of course, if I noticed that the notes meant more to them I would shift my focus there. It doesn't mean you should do anything poorly, you should still be proud of your work, but just realize that everything doesn't require 100% and prioritize accordingly. This quote below is one of my favorites to keep in mind when I realize I'm trying to give my all to way too much (via):

I hope you all find these tips helpful and can start (or continue) enjoying this amazing ride we're all on our on our way to our dreams! Just remember that this is your life, right now, in this very moment. Live it! 

5 comments:

  1. nice pictures! kisses

    http://www.lefamilledelamode.com/2014/03/my-daddys-birthday-in-miami.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura,
    You always seem to have very sensible advice. I work full-time and get two weeks' vacation time. I have a small circle of friends, and I'm currently the only one in the group that is single (which I'm ok with! lol). Most of my friends don't want to take vacations without their significant others and/or they can't afford them (half of them decided to go back to school). I love to travel and when it's time for me to plan a vacation it becomes a source of anxiety or depression. Any advice? Thanks! xoxo

    Yessi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not Laura and your post is old - but what about traveling alone? Start small, so you can test if you like it. Mostly, you will not really be alone while traveling. You will meet interesting people. Some of my best traveling experiences are from my on-my-own trips :)

      Delete
  3. Hi, Laura!

    I recently found your blog through Pinterest and am in love with it! I *love* the fact that you are a super busy med student and still have a life, lovely style, and are so easy going (by the way, your little daughter is just the cutest...you're approaching super woman here :)). I recently graduated high school and am strongly considering perusing medical school (okay, so I've pretty much made up my mind it's the only thing I want to do). To say I'm super confused and intimidated would be an understatement. I been reading some of your past post regarding medical school and they have been super helpful. Would you mind answering a few questions? I have so many!

    1.) When do you recommend applying for med school? From what I'm reading it seems waiting until you've completed undergrad is too long...so when is the best time to apply?

    2.) As I see it, pre med/undergrad is all about gathering the necessary credentials for med school...am I right? In that case, what should I be doing during my pre med years to prepare for med school? What extracurricular actives would you recommend, what classes should I take, does my major matter and, if so, what is a recommended major?

    Please excuse any stupid questions...I am super excited to get started on this path but the big world of med school seems slightly terrifying and I feel like a complete idiot with SO much to learn :)

    Thanks so much for your lovely blog! It has been so helpful and inspiring.

    Take care,
    Brianna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! You're so helpful, Laura. Your life itself is inspiring and motivating and having all this written out for me to try to emulate your life is really helpful. Thank you so much once again for everything!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make my day! If you have a specific question you want answered, please send me a message by clicking the Contact tab at the top, or even better, contact me on twitter or facebook and I'll get back to you ASAP! Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Designed by Minimalsphere