If you're like me, this is the first time you've heard of this so-called "push present." Otherwise maybe you think I've been living under a rock? According to Wikipedia, it's "a present a father gives to the mother to mark the occasion of her giving birth to their child." Not going to lie... it sounds sort of silly ("that's a scam for rich people" was my immediate reaction). I mean, isn't the push present well, the healthy baby? But this push present thing is for real, so I figured why not come up with a few things that would be nice after pushing that baby out (or having it cut it out, that's no fun either). For a real, almost-wish-I-didn't-read-that list of things you will actually need for after pushing baby out, check out this awesome post by 15 Minute Beauty Fanatic. But now for the fun stuff - push present ideas from realistic to total fantasy.
- Jewelry: Google image search "push present" and most of what you'll see is jewelry. You can never go wrong with a classic pair of diamond studs, or you can make it even more special and get a necklace with your new baby's initial - I'm loving this Maya Brenner "O" necklace for baby Olivia.
- Mani/Pedi: Nothing like giving mama the chance for some "me" time (which can really just mean watching the baby so she can enjoy a shower), but take it a step above and offer to watch the baby while she enjoys a mani/pedi on you. Mom, go with this Essie polish in Glamour Purse.
- Housecleaning: If you've got the time and are short on funds, offer to keep the house clean for a month or two (you can use these awesome Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day products), or even better, get her a gift card for a few cleanings from a professional house cleaner. Here in Boston I've had great experiences with Homejoy.
- A new bag: It's no secret we love our bags, get her the one she's been wanting but (responsibly) putting off for baby expenses. Bonus if it's one that can actually fit baby's stuff in it too - a chic diaper bag! I would actually be upset if N spent this much money on a bag like this Miranda Studded Tote, but it is gorgeous, isn't it?
- First family vacation: Book a trip for your now +1 family and enjoy some time away. The cherry on top would be this GiGi New York Passport case.
- A new TV: Go ahead and be that guy, it's ok. With all the time that mom will be spending at home with baby, you both will appreciate a new flat screen like this Samsung 40 inch HDTV. Unless of course you're the type of family that doesn't watch TV. Then this would be a horrible idea.
So what do you think of this "push present" idea? I'd love to hear! Happy Friday!