blank'/> A LITTLE BIT OF LACQUER: Traveling on a Budget

January 14, 2013

Traveling on a Budget

One of my lovely readers came up with a great idea the other day - a post on traveling on a professional student budget. Having recently come back from the Virgin Islands, I'll of course share photos from there as well (what's a blog post without pics?), but I hope you find some of these pointers useful!
  • Be flexible with your travel dates. Sometimes this is the hardest thing to control because we often are only given specific times off, but if you have some wiggle room, use it. Sites like Kayak (and I'm sure many others) allow you to easily compare flight prices over the month. You'd be surprised the difference in price - if I look up prices from Boston to St. Thomas for the month of February the prices range from $274 to $1105!
  • Think outside the box when it comes to accommodations. I'm a sucker for a room with a view, but I don't need someone waiting on my every need at all hours of the day. Decide what you really want to pay for and go from there. If you don't want to worry about a thing, then maybe all inclusive is the way to go, but if you can take care of yourself during your getaway, do it and save some money! Check out VRBO (Vacation Rentals by Owner) for places in your destination. For my most recent trip I ended up paying less than $200/night for a fully furnished one bedroom apartment with a corner balcony in a spot where a hotel would have called the room a "deluxe suite with corner ocean view" and charged me at least quadruple the price. 
  • Put your cooking skills to use. If you don't have them, travel with someone who does ;) I can't tell you how much money you save just cooking breakfast every morning instead of eating out. You can still splurge on fancy meals here and there, but the meal bills definitely add up when you're eating out for each meal, so go grocery shopping when you first arrive and cook when you can!  
  • Pack light and stay away from shopping! Ok, as a person who loves clothes these two things sound impossible. But I never check bags when I travel - I only bring one carry-on and pack things that are all color-coordinated (see my post how to travel without a suitcase). The airline doesn't need anymore of your money just for more bags. And the shopping? If you're going to a place just for the shopping, sure, shop away. But if you're going to get away, just get away, no need to spend money on clothes you don't really need that you can find cheaper online anyway.
I hope these points may help some of you! And now for some pics of the Virgin Islands :) I'll warn you that I'm a sucker for coffee with a view. 

The last one is a horrible picture but I've never been on a flight where you just walk up the stairs onto the plane before! So I had to share that :)

Hope you ladies are snapping pics of your work looks! Our first Work It Wednesday of 2013 will be this week! 

11 comments:

  1. I love your pictures, the Virgin Islands looks amazing!! You have really great tips too. Whenever I go away, I always say I don't need this huge fancy hotel I'm not going on vacation to stay in the hotel the whole time! As long as it's clean and the location is good that's all I really need. And I never check bags either, only one carry on and my purse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm excited for Work It Wednesday! Gorgeous photos and great tips! My biggest struggle with this is time off... I rarely have an opportunity to be flexible with that unless if it is a quick weekend trip! Which I would love to do more of :)

    Rachel’s Lookbook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Work it Weds...whooo hooo!! Can't wait! I love the travel tips. As a soon to be newly wed, these will come in handy.

    ~Whitney
    www.whitneynicjames.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Props to you for traveling without checking a bag! Smart way to save money and carry less.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Нola! I've been reading your website for a while now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Huffman Texas! Just wanted to mention keep up the fantastic work!

    http://www.i80equipment.com/bucket-trucks-medium.shtml
    My web page boom trucks for sale

    ReplyDelete
  6. More picture about your vacation girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooer! Loving the view from your balcony :) Ta for the travelling tips!

    Mo x

    withinmylocket.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where did you stay, if you don't mind me asking. The hubby and I are looking for a vacay spot for next month and your view was AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Morgan! Do you have an email address I could send the info to? Would love to give you the details! You can send it to me using the little mail envelope all the way at the top right of the blog or here, whatever you like!

      Delete
  9. good tips! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make my day! If you have a specific question you want answered, please send me a message by clicking the Contact tab at the top, or even better, contact me on twitter or facebook and I'll get back to you ASAP! Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Designed by Minimalsphere