How to Pack Without a Suitcase

April 30, 2012

So it's no secret that I love traveling. But traveling has its' pitfalls, many of which we can't control (delays, other people's children crying, etc.). But one thing you can control - what you bring. I hate checking luggage. Especially if I'm traveling internationally, I refuse to check baggage. Here's how I packed for my recent trip to Cancun - granted it was 6 days and sometimes with longer trips it's hard to not bring a larger suitcase, but regardless here's how I did it!

First though, a few rules to pack by:

Know where you're going, what the weather will be like, and what you'll be doing. Of course part of the fun of vacation is doing spontaneous things, but the more you know, the more you can pack accordingly. When we have no idea what's going on, we have the tendency to prepare for it all.

Mix and match. Make sure everything you pack goes together! I try on everything I plan on packing and make sure I like the way it looks. Too many people pack too much and don't wear it all! Why carry things around that you won't even wear? I also like to cheat with bikinis and bring ONE bottom that I can mix and match with different tops!

Don't pack anything that can spill. When I'm traveling I skip my usual face wash and bring face wipes instead (I love these by Soap & Glory, they're my absolute favorite). Dry shampoo is also very useful!

Get a good travel bag. See a picture of my Lo & Sons O.G. bag below - I swear by this thing. 

Stay tuned for how I wore everything I packed! {bottom image via

17 comments:

  1. It's fabulous to see the space saver of just one bottom and three bikini tops. Also, the trying everything on together beforehand is brilliant, as I seldom see that one clothing item does not suit another! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazin post!!! very usefull!!! :d
    xoxo
    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the same thing. I hate to check bags when I travel so I always bring stuff I can mix and match. Where did you get that purple top?! It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melody the top is from Target! I'll be posting more pics soon!

      Delete
  4. God that's impressive - I need to take these tips and seriously implement them!

    Lea x

    http://shebeginstosee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's pretty amazing that you can fit all of that in one reasonably sized bag. I need to practice these tips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. smart girl! i am a light packer too but i always have my essentials. great job!!!

    ~nic
    www.nics-picks.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. I only brought my sandals which I wore to actually travel!

      Delete
  8. Wow. I'm impressed. I tend to OVER pack & end up paying dearly. Can you please post pictures of how all the clothes you packed fit into that Lo & Sons bag? I would really appreciate it as I'm looking for a new travel carry on. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't take any pictures once my bag was packed because I was actually running late! But I can definitely take some and show how it all fits! The bag is amazing!

      Delete
  9. This is awesome. I'm always THAT girl who overpacks. I'm going to try to take your advice for future packing attempts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can not believe you packed all that in that little bag!! Your right I always pack things that I dont even end up wearing :)
    -barbie @ Style of a Mrs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do the same thing with trying on everything before I pack it!!! There's nothing worse than packing an outfit you think will work only to get there and have to reconfigure how you'll wear what you packed because you have to work around an outfit that didn't look right!


    http://thebluehourfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been looking for the perfect weekender. Would you say you could only fit a few days' worth of clothes in that bag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all depends on how much a few days' clothes is for you! I was able to fit 5 days clothes in here, but it was summery clothes - if you're packing sweaters and heavier items you could definitely get away with at least 3 separate outfits. I'm planning on doing a video soon on all that I can pack in this thing if that would be helpful!

      Delete

I love getting your comments, they make my day! If you have a specific question you want answered, please send me a message by clicking the Contact tab at the top, or even better, contact me on twitter or facebook and I'll get back to you ASAP! Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...