blank'/> A LITTLE BIT OF LACQUER: Clothes with Meaning

January 16, 2012

Clothes with Meaning

I wore this outfit last week to the hospital and was humbled that I got so many compliments on the look. It's always funny though, when people ask, "Where did you buy this outfit?" The answer is never a short one, because most of my clothes always has a story and each piece was usually bought at different times. The top worn here for example, well I bought it from Marshalls years ago for a friend's funeral in high school. I still remember the day like it was yesterday, so surreal seeing a kid you've known since preschool in an open casket, numbing almost. It was also my first time ever driving on the highway, I'll never forget being between the cement divider and an eighteen-wheeler! The shoes, well those I bought for my medical school interviews from Macy's, and during my Harvard interview the heels got stuck in the gripped rubber finish of  the staircase and I gracefully fell down the stairs. I just threw gracefully in there, but it was anything but - I literally just folded over on the staircase and tried to get up before anyone could see! The bag, oh the bag. I got it from Target years ago, and the shoulder strap is now broken, but I used it all throughout Europe and can still find Euro coins and Czech crowns in the front pocket. The pants are the newest addition from Forever 21, but even these I remember wearing working up my first stroke patient and practicing our neurological exam. Can you tell I'm not one to throw clothes out? Unless it doesn't fit or I truly hate it, my clothes will have a spot in my closet and heart forever.

13 comments:

  1. lovely outfit.. you wear those trousers really well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the trousers are such a cute neutral color

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVEEEEEE the trousers!!
    www.style4curves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about someone asking you where you got your outfit from or where you buy your clothes... it always turns into a complicated answer! (Does "everywhere" cover it well enough?!) :) But sometimes it is fun to reflect back on pieces and when/where you got them and sometimes it can bring back painful memories, as I'm sure thinking back to your friend's funeral must have done.

    You look beautiful! The shirt paired with those F21 pants is a simple, yet stunning look!

    www.rachelslookbook.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty med student you are!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. count me in the loving the outfit :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the outfit! The pants are awesome.

    http://www.fabellis.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this outfit! it's so cute but dressy at the same time. And your stories about your clothes are so great, I'm the same way I keep my clothes forever unless there is something wrong with them and sometimes when I take something out of my closet to wear I get a memory flash of a special time I wore it that's why I love buying clothes or jewelry when I travel :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. chic and elegant outfit!! love the trousers!!

    besos guapa.

    http://myvintagememoirs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, amazing memory! Love these pants on you. Funny bit about falling down, but that's so dangerous!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My gosh you have an incredible memory! The pants look great on you and I love the top!

    http://8bitgrayscale.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that Outfit!!!

    Greetings from Germany

    ReplyDelete

I love getting your comments, they make my day! If you have a specific question you want answered, please send me a message by clicking the Contact tab at the top, or even better, contact me on twitter or facebook and I'll get back to you ASAP! Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Designed by Minimalsphere