blank'/> A LITTLE BIT OF LACQUER: Zebras and Bullies

November 30, 2011

Zebras and Bullies

Just sharing a simple outfit I wore for a child psychiatry clinic. Most often I see kids on the autism spectrum during clinic, but this time we saw a young woman who was the victim of terrible bullying. Just horrible - both in school and on-line (cyber-bullying) - so bad that she stopped going to school and needed psychiatric help. She was an awesome unique kid, and it was great hearing her story and how well she was doing now.
Listening to her story brought back memories of my own middle school/early high school days- definitely not my best. I was initially bullied a lot, by both girls and boys (who just loved making fun of how skinny I was), but I took a little different route. I fought back (literally), getting into multiple fights and eventually joining a gang. No way was I gonna let anyone bully me.
Crazy right!!?? Silly, really. I turned my ways around and realized I was actually smart (thanks to Mr. Voltz, my biology teacher, who was the first teacher to actually tell me that), and fast-forward a few years and I'm on my way to becoming a doctor from Harvard Medical School. Life is crazy, and full of so many different roads to take. Thankful I was (eventually) steered the right way.
Life lessons in this post: don't bully people, and give kids credit for their accomplishments. We all need a little pat on the back sometimes, or someone to just say we did good.

Top, thrifted (Michael Kors- read about it here!)
Pants, American Apparel
Pumps, Max Studio
Bag, H&M
Belt, thrifted

20 comments:

  1. I would have never in a million years guessed you were in a gang and got into fights. But so happy you turned it around and are now doing amazing things! Bulling is so sad, I wish those people would realize how much they are hurting that person.

    ps. LOVE this outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fantastic....love the blouse!

    Annie
    The Other Side of Gray

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful story... Didnt know Bullying to that extreme really existed. Now my Lil Sis who was always miss popular is getting bullied her first yr of high school. I told her she can go ahead and fight the girls... Eventhough they are older my sis could do some serious damage if she wanted too.

    Love the blog. That Blouse is amazing btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back with another comment... I need to know where & which locations you thrift at? Cuz I havent had much luck with thrifting in Boston even though I really just tried twice before LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post. Great message, Great story, and lovely blouse. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Such a blessing that you are where you are today. Love the outfit. Very cute! Great thrift find.

    http://www.fabellis.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this outfit, the striped top and those pants are perfect, and your hair looks so pretty in the topknot
    xo Cara
    http://www.afashionloveaffair.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I am in love with this look! The olive pants and the print blouse. You look amazing.

    www.justpatience.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa, what a story! So proud of you for turning it all around. Sounds like you could've taken a very different road.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great message! and love the outfit :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow you just threw me for a loop with your story- that is so personal, and brave to share. We have all been the victim of bullying at one time or another, and you need to try and turn it into a positive somehow, which you obviously did.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing your story! You're such a strong, beautiful lady - it's wonderful to hear that you've turned things around :) xoxo, eliza

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bullying is terrible, and cyber-bullying on top of that is just awful.
    It's amazing to hear that you turned it the right way around after you were bullied in school. Bravo to you and to everyone who makes it right.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the look, those pants are so cute.


    --
    Shanice,
    www.shanicexoxo.info

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think your story was an inspiration to many kids today. Very brave of you to share, and I hope you continue sharing those stories. You never know who might need to hear them, just to see that there's actually a light at the end of the tunnel. I for one was never really bullied, but your story still inspired me to BE GREAT! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. me encanta la blusa!!

    besos guapa.

    http://myvintagememoirs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, great story! It's great that you've accomplished so much so far... best wishes on the rest of school! :)

    Julia
    Cup of Tea
    http://cupoftea-style.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. nice and relaxed outfit---love the shirt and heels. your story is amazing; what a blessing you turned your life around. a true testimony!

    ~nic

    ReplyDelete
  19. Reading this post actually brought tears to my eyes... you are such an inspiration!! That is an incredible story that I would have never guessed. Your teacher must be so proud of you too!! Thank you for taking the time to make a difference in this world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much for your comment, I'm glad you found it inspirational!!

      Delete

I love getting your comments, they make my day! If you have a specific question you want answered, please send me a message by clicking the Contact tab at the top, or even better, contact me on twitter or facebook and I'll get back to you ASAP! Thank you so much for reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Designed by Minimalsphere